Housekeeping

Since this seems to be a week for admitting failure, thought I would discuss the current state of my house. The reason that one of my resolutions was to get rid of stuff is because our house is full. Our garage is full. Our storage unit is full. And very little of it is stuff we use, let alone stuff we need. I really am at a loss. I am trying to sell what I can through Vintage Peach, but that only works for stuff that is actually vintage. I am leaning towards a garage sale in the summer, but that won’t help me now.

In addition to having stuff problems, I have dirt problems. My house is gross. It is relatively clean on the surface. The bathrooms are clean, but not really the showers or floors because I hate cleaning them. The kitchen is cleanish, but the stove/oven is a disaster. I know I am should do things like pull out the fridge and vacuum the coils or clean the pantry before the dust pumas attack, but I actually don’t even know when or how often to do this stuff. I never lived in one place long enough to bother before. I always moved before I needed to do any heavy duty maintenance cleaning.

I know there are options out there. For instance, I am sure that #flylady and Martha have schedules, but seem a little overzealous. I haven’t googled yet. I am just throwing this out there to see if anyone has any super awesome tips to share. Do you use a chore chart or spreadsheet? Is there a rad phone app? I just am so tired of running around in a panic whenever someone is coming over or my sister is visiting. I am thinking that burning my house down and starting over is not a reasonable option.* Help me, oh friends of the internets!

This post ended up depressing and originally ended at the last paragraph. But then, whether she knew she was doing it or not, Suzanne gave me a much needed pep talk. And then I caught a glance of this months Martha Stewart Living with its colorful cover and this one-two punch of inspiration kicked me in the ass. I may hate cleaning, but I love gardening. This spring I will clean my house and my yard. When I empty a cupboard or purge my rice cooker I have never used in nearly 7 years of marriage, I can buy a plant. If I spend 20 minutes cleaning, I will reward myself by pruning roses. I will finally plug in the baby monitor so I can go outside during naps. My project 365 will get much earthier. I AM SO EXCITED. And, AND, I will blog it! Yay for green buds and mulch and seeds! Yay for hoes and trowels and weeds!

Already have things blooming!!!

*Dear Insurance Adjuster, It is called hyperbole. I have no plans to burn down my house. I would totally up my policy first.

Tags:

18 Responses to “Housekeeping”

1. TheNextMartha says:

I am feeling the SAME way. Actually I went to the flylady site. She has a baby step program. First day? Just clean your sink. I think I’m going to try it. I know I’m a big Martha fan but when hers has “Take toothpick to oven grates” I lost interest. Good luck! Let me know how it goes.

I finally decided that Martha is good for how to store things (like stacking teacups on their saucers) and not so much the day to day. Probably because she has maids.

2. Cole says:

Good luck! And if you find chore charts or an app or something, please share – Mommy is not a big fan of cleaning…

I will be sure to share. I might force myself to check back in on my progress to keep me honest.

3. […] This post was mentioned on Twitter by lisa churchill, Amy. Amy said: {New Post} I kind of admit how dirty my house is http://bit.ly/emckIk #secretshame […]

4. MamaRobinJ says:

I finally broke down and get someone in to clean every two weeks. She just does the stuff I hate (bathrooms, floors) and isn’t the best cleaner ever, but she’s cheap and I consider it divorce insurance.

On the stuff, do you have a used stuff site where you live? Great way to get rid of a lot. I do that all the time and we have way less clutter than we used to. Or try freecycle – great option when you just want someone to take your crap away.

I need to decide about a garage sale and if the verdict is no, start trying to craig list small appliances and the like.

I can tolerate a certain amount of dirt, dust bunnies, etc. etc. I get to this point where EVERYTHING IS DISGUSTING and I have to scrub every corner, and it doesn’t feel clean enough.

I seriously think I may have some issues, because I feel like Joan Crawford with her canister of bleach powder.

I hate my countertops b/c they are tile and over 60 years old and look disgusting. No matter how much I scrub, they look gross. If you ever find out a way to clean 60 year old grout, please, pass it along.

I just want the mess to lessen. Lessen the mess-en!

Also: Garage sale is a GREAT idea. I made close to $500 last year at ours. I may or may not have another one this year.

Mamadom @Thatgirl_D Reply:

Grout…I’ve decided I’m not cleaning grout I’ll just wait until the counters get replaced.

Yes, kind of a nasty plan I have I know. My other plan is hired help to clean the nasty stuff, like Amy said stove/oven.

I hate cleaning grout. Thankfully we only have tile in one bathroom and none in the kitchen.

We had a garage sale last year. It was sort of fun, I met a lot of neighbors, but in the end 75% of the stuff when to Goodwill. So now I just donate donate donate. I’m addicted to donating stuff, because filling up boxes with the perfectly good but useless junk I own and then GETTING THEM OUT OF MY HOUSE is sooooo satisfying. I’m too lazy for Craigslist or even Freecycle, but at Goodwill I don’t even have to unload my own car.

I’m glad whatever I said was a pep talk. And I have to say you did almost the same for me re: complaints about this SAHM gig. Today I treated the laundry and kitchen duties as my job instead of just chores and it was AMAZING. I got them done without resenting anyone and my house is in decent shape. I even shined my sink.

7. Holly says:

A long time ago I found some kind of chart in a Real Simple magazine that broke it down into weekly, monthly, yearly. Since a lot of it didn’t apply to urban living I basically edited it to my own tasks – then I threw it out. I know what I have to do a regular/ weekly basis (clean bathroom sink, tub, toilet & floor) and what I can let slide to a monthly basis (scrub the shit out of the shower tiles), and then the big twice a year crap like the closet purge. It kinda work till you know, life get in the way :)

I forgot all about Real Simple. I am off to check their site now. I think I had that same pull out once upon a time. Sorry about the daffodils.

8. Holly says:

Also: the fact that you have blooming daffodils makes me want to cry. I am about to go knock the snow off my window box and think about cheery flowers.

9. Kim says:

The one technique from FlyLady that I use is the 15-minute timer, especially when I’m feeling overwhelmed by the mess in my house. I work on each room for only 15 minutes and then move on–it’s amazing how much I can pick up and straighten in that short amount of time.

10. Kim says:

I signed up for something at managemylife.com a while ago, and they send me emails periodically that tell how to do a cleaning/maintenance task around the house that you “should” be doing at that time of year. It’s really awesome. I had no idea you even had to do things like flush the sediment from your water heater. I’ll admit most of the emails sit in my inbox until I get around to it (I still have the “Turn off the power to your AC” message from Sept., but I guess it’s a bit late for that!), but the email reminders are really helpful, and it’s always just one thing, so it’s not overwhelming! http://www.managemylife.com/mmh/maintenance_plan/February

Thanks for the link, I am checking it out now. Although, maybe they need a SoCal specific one, because I sure don’t need to check my heating vents after snow storms.