Our Life is Not a Movie or Maybe

The first time I ever saw my husband, he was running down a ramp, red curls bouncing. I probably knew I loved him then. His sister was in my second grade class. We went to the same church. His best friend lived up the street from me. His mom was my dad’s travel agent. Our lives were intertwined. If life were a sappy movie, we would have become sweethearts for life right then.

The second time I “met” my husband was in high school. He was on the cross country team with my best friend. They started dating, the typical sophomore-senior pairing. I assumed it wouldn’t last. I misguidedly developed a huge crush on him. Their relationship lasted through 2 more of my high school years, despite him leaving town for college. Much to my dismay, after my best friend and I ended up at the same university, their relationship lasted through the dorms. And then lasted well into our second year of college, when we were roommates. I had a crush on him the whole time, but it faded and I had gone through a series of boyfriends since college. They broke up and it wasn’t pretty. If life were a romantic comedy, I would have swooped in and snapped him up then.

The third time I “met” my husband was so random it was a screenwriter’s dream. I went to lunch 15 minutes later than I normally did, and I normally went to lunch at 1130 on the dot, walked out the back door of the hospital and he was walking in. We talked for a minute, it had been about 10 years since we’d seen each other, exchanged numbers and went on my way. And then he called. We started hanging out as friends, meeting for coffee, walking downtown, getting accosted by a sheriff deputy while innocently parked at the beach.

After a few months of flirting my ass off, unaware that the entire time we had been hanging out he had a girlfriend, he finally broke up with her and we started officially dating. We started dating in February 2004, not long after I had declared the Year of Amy. We dated for 3 weeks and he proposed. We were engaged for 4 months and we got married. When we had been married for 5 years, we had a baby. Last weekend, we took Spencer to our old elementary school to play. I watched my son and husband run down and up and down and up that very same ramp.

If life were a movie, it would fade out on this.

Tags: , , , ,

28 Responses to “Our Life is Not a Movie or Maybe”

1. Cole says:

What a great story – you’re a real life When Harry Met Sally! Happy Valentine’s Day :)

2. Anna says:

What a sweet love story. Love it!

Thanks! I almost didn’t publish. My husband likes to keep a low bloggy profile.

How awesome is it that you ran into each other at the hospital? Life works in mysterious ways, doesn’t it? Love it.

His girlfriend totes worked at the hospital. She still does. In related news, she hates me.

4. […] This post was mentioned on Twitter by Amy, Amy. Amy said: Let's add another sappy VD post to the pile! {New Post} http://bit.ly/f9hTeS […]

Awwww….definitely not too sappy. I loved it!

Thanks! Hitting publish was a struggle, I do like to hide the fact that the center of my cold, black heart is a mushy pile of goo.

Damn you Amy. I’ve been reading stupid, sappy V-day posts ALL DAY and not a one has made me tear up until yours. Stupid adorable red-headed husband.

COTD.

7. marci says:

That is such a great story. I love these types of ‘movie-like’ love stories.

8. Love this! It was so meant to be, love reading stories like this :)

Thanks, I think it was meant to be, even if it took my husband a long time to figure it out.

9. CJ says:

That picture of your Husband is to die for. This made my wheezy-mucusy-cranky self feel warm and fuzzy. Today, as you may have guessed–not so Valentinesy for me. Ha!

I love pictures of my husband as a kid. He was (and in my opinion still is) a cutie for sure. Since you aren’t so V-Dayey today, I wish you a super awesome happy tuesday for tomorrow!

10. holy crap, this is awesome. i’m not romantic at all, but i’ve got CHILLS, amy! YAY! you guys rock. happy love dayyy!!!

11. Oh my goodness this is a great love story! The part about he and your son running there at then end made me want to cry, going full circle right?! And the fact that you had a crush on him so long..so great! Thanks for posting this on blogfrog! Looking fwd to following!!

12. harry says:

That’s a crazy story! Congrats! Did you ever go back to tell him you had a crush all these years?

He knows. And he will never let me forget it.

13. Alena says:

Aw that is so sweet!!

14. Emily says:

I loved this post. The window has been open on my computer since Monday & I am just finding time to comment. I just love your story & the fact that you can go back & enjoy these places you did as kids with your kids. It’s so great that you two have such a history together. It’s one of my very favorite parts of staying local as an adult. Even our ice cream man remembers my husband & I by name from when we were kids!

15. Marge says:

OMGoodness, how sweet!

I am visiting from SITS, make it a great day!

16. Kris says:

Amy –

I am late to this party, but this is the best sweet romantic “how we got together” story ever. What a lovely Valentine’s Day post. I’m sort of glad I am reading it later . . . I was feeling contrary on the holiday. But today?

This is just perfect.

Love it.

Swoon!

17. […] Our Life is Not a Movie or Maybe by Amy is a really sweet post about how she met her husband (over and over again!). Talk about knowing that he’s the one!!! […]

18. […] is from the school where I took the pictures for the Valentine’s post. We like to go to this school on the weekends when the parks get to […]

19. What a great story, and so well-written!
    I found you via SITS.

20. Jennifer says:

Stopping by from SITS-
    Wat a great ending to your story. My husband and I have a crazy could be a movie story too. And it’s funny because we were friends for almost years, then dated for about a month, then we got engaged, and after 1 month of getting engaged we got married. We’ve been married now for 4 1/2 years and have two lovely littles. I am so blessed to have a great ending to our story too.
    Jennifer

21. […] Our 10 year wedding anniversary is on the 16th. It feels equally like 10 long years and no time at all. Since this is (in theory) a wordless wednesday post, I’ll just leave the link to the old post of our love story here. […]