Rough Patch

Last week was not my finest mothering wise. I am sure it can be chalked up to a family that slowly descended into sickness. The toddler started with a clear runny nose that we thought maybe was teething, but he stopped sleeping at all and just got worse. The runny nose turned green and he just got sicker and sicker. Hubs got a sore throat and a headache, I got a sore throat and a headache, I can only hope we can fight off the snot. All because a little girl coughed in Spencer’s face at the park. Stupid public places. Full of people and their germs.

Before the sickness set in, Spencer and I were at the park and I finally quite simply blew it. He took a tumble from a piece of playground equipment. And my formerly judgey how-could-you-let-your-kid-fall-self ate a big fat slice of humble pie. It wasn’t a huge fall, I am not sure he even noticed. He popped right up and let me brush him off. No one else at the park seemed to notice.

I know a lot of you are now laughing at me because it is just a few feet, but the thump was loud! And what really pisses me off is that I wasn’t looking at my phone or tweeting, I didn’t have my camera out. I was just standing there and he leaned over lightening fast and just slipped off the side into the wood chips, which by the way do not easily come out of fuzzy sweatshirts. Lesson learned: no fuzzies at wood chip parks.

Later that day he fell over next to the front porch, trying to “help” me knock the sand out of his shoes. He missed falling in to a rosebush by about a foot and cracking his head on stone steps by about six inches. Another mom win! He got sick the next day, so part of me wants to blame an ear infection or something, but he’s had no other symptoms like that. Just neglect, I suppose. Maybe now that I have admitted what a shitty mother I am on the internet, I will become an overnight blogging sensation. Woot!

Tags: , , , ,

13 Responses to “Rough Patch”

1. Cole says:

I fall in the park all the time – mainly because I think I’m like 8. I want to go on the BIG slides and I do NOT want help.

Mommy is *positive* most of the other mommies think she’s neglectful or something…

Spencer still has to be assisted on the slides. He was good until the bigger kids thought it would be fun to show him how to jump of the edges of the equipment. Now he occasionally tries to fling himself over the edge of the platform.

2. It happens to all of us. I don’t think there is one mom out there that can’t relate.

3. Amy says:

Hey don’t be so hard on yourself! It happens even to the best parents. I remember a time when the baby and I were taking a nap and he woke up before me and tumbled right off of the bed! Even after everyone said he’s too smart/big to sleep with you. The bump on his head was there for a week as a symbol of how I didn’t listen and he paid the consequences for it. We all make mistakes and kids are FAST.

Cheer up love!

So true, kids are very fast. I need to remember that!

4. Natasha says:

Get this through your thick skull – THAT’S NOT NEGLECT. Toddlers are daredevils. Unless you wrap them in bubblewrap, they’re going to take a million falls. They explore. They climb. It’s all part of the growing and learning process.

I was kind of kidding about it being neglect, but I do feel bad he fell off.

Dude, O is CONSTANTLY falling off of things, or tripping on something (he sometimes even trips on the freakin’ baby gate). He’s had more goose eggs than I can count – apparently he’s the type who swells up. I even have a video of him flying off the end of a slide that was a little speedier than I expected. I was too busy videotaping him to actually you know, help him.

I hope you’re not really beating yourself up for this. Toddlers grow so fast, and learn so much about their bodies – falls and bruises are totally normal.

What is funny is that it didn’t bother me when he fell off the couch and landed on his head. It didn’t bother me when he flew off of the end of a wet slide and slid through the sand. But this? Bothers me. I have a boy. I need to get over it.

TMae Reply:

I thought about this some more and I totally understand what you’re getting at. I had an experience with O that made me feel like the worst mother alive. He fell and was fine, but it scared the crap out of me because it happened so quickly. One minute he was fine, the next he was tumbling. And all falls can be potentially dangerous, but this was one that was on the more dangerous than potential side. I felt awful about it for DAYS. And actually, I will not admit the specifics of it because I’m ashamed. For me, the fear part drives the awful-parenting part.

I think it’s part of parenting. And maybe it will get easier, but I suspect any time that fear is triggered, I’ll feel like crap.

6. […] This post was mentioned on Twitter by Amy, Amy. Amy said: New Post! I overrreact. Yay! http://bit.ly/g8r3zK […]

7. Anna says:

I think we all have shitty mom days (or weeks)! Hell, I have ’em about every other day.

8. MamaRobinJ says:

I have a boy too and he’s the world’s biggest faller. He’s totally not klutzy but he falls all the time. Goose eggs, bruises, scrapes. I swear he always has something. Must be in the genes!