Ugh, She is Talking About Sleep. AGAIN.

Last night (Sunday) was not so good. After my sleep post last from early January, we were actually getting on pretty well with a 9sih bedtime and two wakes during the night which, while less than ideal, is tolerable. We never had to cry it out, I think he felt the last resort vibe in the air and got with the program. Babies and toddlers can be freaky like that. Enter the eyeteeth. Oh.My.God. Why did no one tell me that those suckers are as bad as molars? And he is getting all four at once. Just kill me now.

So, his sleeping patterns have been devolving over the last week or so until we hit rock bottom on Friday and Saturday nights with every hour wakings and me back to sleeping in the recliner with him just to get sleep at all. I aware that recliners count as unsafe cosleeping. We have a system that I am comfortable with.

And then came Sunday.

Sunday night we did our usual bedtime routine and the little guy drifted off about 8:30. I have been trying to go to bed earlier, but didn’t end up falling asleep until 11:30. Around 12:30, Spencer woke and cried and I got up. My usual plan is to nurse him back to sleep, rock him for 10 minutes and pop him back in the crib. Sometimes, if I put him in too soon, he flips over and says Out! Out! until I pick him over and do the whole thing over again. I tried and tried, but after about 20 minutes he was saying Bottle! Downstairs! Bottle!, so in the interest of my husband staying asleep, I took him downstairs.

He did not want a bottle. He wanted to play. And play we did. Puzzles, train, blocks. Any of the quieter toys were worth a shot. He wasn’t crying or upset or seeming tired at all. I was fighting to stay awake. Every 30-45 minutes or so, I would get him to lay in my lap or on the couch and try and get him to sleep. No dice. About 3 am, I turned on Nick Jr and cuddled up with him on the couch and I thought maybe he would just fall asleep leaning against me like he has a few time when he nap resisted. Nope. At least Suzanne was on twitter to give me some sympathy, one of the perks of having a friend with a newborn.

I finally got him to sleep at 4:30 am, got him in his crib at 4:45. YAY! And he woke up at 5:30. BOO! I got him back to sleep with me in the recliner almost immediately and there we slept until 7:45. It was one of the crappiest nights we have had in a long time.

And it didn’t make today very much fun. I mainlined coffee and tried to wear him out with a long trip to the park before lunch. Fixed a huge lunch and I thought nap time would be a piece of cake. Nope. He resisted and played until about 2, which made his nap about 2 hours late. So, I don’t have high hopes for his bed time tonight. I, however, am going to bed when he does. Which, I hope is by 9.

It must be the teeth. It HAS to be the teeth. Otherwise I am going to turn in to a zombie, this will be the most boring blog ever and I will have to change the name to Baby Baby NoSleep.

If he doesn't start sleeping, he's gonna see the other side of that fence.

Edited to add: Last night (Monday) was pretty good and my vision of our sleep future seems a lot less bleak. Spencer went to bed about 8:45 and slept until 4:00 before he work up. I was asleep by 9:30 and got plenty of uninterrupted sleep myself. He woke up my normal perky and fun morning toddler and I woke up not wanting to throw myself out the second story window.

Tags: , , , ,

21 Responses to “Ugh, She is Talking About Sleep. AGAIN.”

I saw you tweeting about this a little bit yesterday. I’m so sorry, dude. Do you give him acetaminophen or ibuprofen? Pain meds are my avenue of last resort, but with O’s molars it was the only way we got more than an hour of sleep at a time.

I’m kind of dreading eye teeth.

2. Cole says:

Ohmigosh, Mommy feels your pain – I didn’t START sleeping through the night until about 16 months,and I had a huge regression at 17! I got all 4 of my vampire teeth at the same time, too – ouch! Mommy says hang in there; we never did CIO either, but it seems like now I’m finally getting with the program and sticking with a schedule!

Good luck!

3. AmyLynn says:

Oh Hon I remember these kind of days. It is truly horrid to get so sleep deprived. Do you have someone that could help you out in the afternoons for awhile? Maybe a student?
    It would be worth it to get yourself some rest.

Hang in there, it has to get better soon.

I edited the post a bit. It is decidedly less awful today. Thanks for the good wishes!

4. OttosMom says:

Oof – I got 4 hours last night so I SO hear you! I’m glad to hear it’s taken an upturn for you guys. Hopefully that sticks. The teeth thing is the suckiest. Ot is fighting an ear infection and we’re having similar sleep issues. Poor kiddos and poor, coffee fueled mamas too (funny how the dads seem to be getting enough zzzzzs in both our scenarios, no comment, just sayin). *Hug* xo

Thanks! I’m hoping things are turning around. Every time I write a big melodramatic blog post about sleep, he seems to sleep fine for weeks just to prove me wrong.

I wish I could offer some sage advice or wisdom, but all I can say is I feel ya, and I was there, and have come out on the other side, practically unscathed.

Well, except for the whole “toddler crawling into my bed in the middle of the night to sleep”. But we’re working on that that, too.

::hugs::

6. Holly says:

Oh, the eye teeth. Ivy got her bottom two and I didn’t even notice but the tops ones are coming in right after and she is PISSED about it. We did have this crazy night of up like every hour but mostly there has just been crabbiness and screaming.

I hope they pop through soon and everyone gets some sleep. And I second the pain relievers.

We lucked out with the timing of Little Evan’s teeth – he got them all (besides the 2 year molars) before I had Caroline, so we’ve only had 1 or 2 middle of the night hissy fits since he started sleeping though the night at 16 months.

If I look at how much sleep I’m getting now, it’s really not nearly enough to make me happy – I like at least 7 hours and I’m currently averaging 4 1/2 – but MOST of the time that sleep is in one big chunk with an extra hour after C’s 5 am feeding. But being awake with a nursing baby is SO MUCH EASIER than being awake with a toddler who can argue or fight or cry about being put down. I hope Spencer takes pity on you and starts sleeping better soon.

The next night was kind of back to normal, so I am hoping it is teeth and things are back on the upswing soon.

8. I feel like I talk about sleep a lot too. I hate teeth. They are keeping us up too.

Agreed. Teeth suck.

9. julie says:

OMG… sorry to hear about your “night terrors”. I wish you lots of luck- things will be better soon! It must be the teeth for sure. I hope things go getter tonight :)

Here’s hoping that was rock bottom! The next night was much better.

10. Emily faliLV says:

Oh man oh man, I have SO been there. (In fact going through two year molar teething hell right now)http://www.familylifeinlv.com/2011/02/6-teething-tips-for-toddlers.html
    But… remember look how fast the past few months/year has gone already. This will be over before you know it, and you will be sleep deprived for a different reason.

HUGS

I just saw this! It ended up in spam because of the link. I’ll check it out for sure.

11. it’s teeth. it’s teeth. it’s teeth!

bastard teeth.

poppy did this EXACT same thing for 2 solid months around the holidays. it was horrendous and i didn’t talk about it much but there was one day i was brought to tears after 48 hours of every-single-hour wakes + shitty naps + “bedtimes” that didn’t even start until midnight despite p being awake for up to 12 hours beforehand. and i’m a mama who can handle a LOT. in the middle of that shitfest of awful sleep, she sprouted SIX new teeth (4 molars + 2 bottoms) and now things are back to sleeping through the night or just 1 wake. kids can also go through regressions like you’re describing when they’re hitting huge developmental leaps and given spencer’s age and advanced intelligence, i wouldn’t be a bit surprised if you’re being hit with a double-whammy. all i can say is hang in there and KNOW that it won’t last forever! XOXOXO!!!

Thanks mama! Things are already looking brighter!

12. Brigid Keely says:

Welp, seeing your update, it’s awesome that things are going better! Here’s hoping your/his sleep issues continue to improve!

13. Unfortunately the sleep issues don’t end when the teeth are done coming in. I have 4 children. 1 is in my spot on the bed, 2 are on the couch going back to sleep after waking a little bit ago, and the oldest can’t put down a book he started reading tonight. It is 4:18am and I need to find an empty bed… guess it is the bunk bed for me! Visiting from SITS… Sleep deprivation stinks!

Thanks for coming by, but though it is full of the truth, your comment doesn’t thrill me. I guess I will sleep… in 17 years. lol.