Felt Board!

I have been obsessing about felt boards since my sister’s visit when we we talking about the awesome ones our parents made us as kids. We had padded wooden boards with shape sets and the cute little theme sets my mom made, like garden or Christmas. I thought I would make a simple board from things I already had laying around the house just to see if Spencer even liked playing with it. He LOVES it. I think even if you had to buy the canvas and the felt, this could be made for less than $10.

A warning: I did not measure, use a ruler or cut particularly neatly on the parts that don’t show. If this will drive you insane, click away now.

You will need a flat art canvas board (not the framed kind) or piece of plywood/particle board, felt to cover, ribbon, glue gun, scissors.  The amounts of things will vary based on the size of the canvas. I used a 16 x 20 canvas board and used about 1/2 yard of felt, 2 1/4 yards of ribbon and because I was using a super-cheap and oh so crappy mini glue gun, about 8 glue sticks.

1. Supplies

2. Side view of the canvas, it is the very thin, hard kind.

3. Lay the canvas on top of the felt and center.

4. Cut around the canvas, leaving about 3 inches extra fabric around each side.

5. Put some glue in the corner of the board and glue the center part of each corner down.

6. Repeat for all four corners.

7. Fold down each corner and glue in place.

8. The edges should come pretty close together, but not overlapping.

9. Glue down the felt on the sides, after all four corners have been glue.

10. The back should be completely glued down before continuing.

11. Cut a piece of felt to cover the back of the board and come with in about an inch of the edge.

12. Folding back each side, glue the backing in to place, covering the exposed part of the canvas completely.

13. Glue down the edges of the backing, smoothing with your hand as you go.

14. Starting at one corner, glue ribbon over the edge of the backing fabric.

15. To turn the corner, pinch the fabric keeping the right side up.

16. Put a dab of glue between the two right sides and press down to stick.

17.Pull the ribbon forward and put a bit of glue on the other side of the ribbon.

18. Press to complete the turn.

19. Repeat for all four corners.

20. Voila! Felt board.

I cut up some quick shapes just to see how he likes it and started working on a garden set. I have a sun, grass and a tree complete and will post when the whole set is finished.

Tags: , ,

18 Responses to “Felt Board!”

Look at you! Crafty McCrafterson. What a great idea!

Do you remember forever ago when you encouraged me on twitter to be crafty during Spencer’s nap? This is what I made. So, thanks!

2. Brigid Keely says:

This is one of the most useful things I’ve seen posted on a blog in a long time. Thank you so much! I can totally do this, and I remember playing with a felt board at the nature center when I was a kid. I could TOTALLY do a train theme one… trace train shapes and cut them out… do animals… all sorts of things. You’ve really inspired me! WOW!

I have train cookie cutters, I’m going to trace them and do a train set next. I want to do cars and boats, too.

3. Rebecca says:

I had one of these! Completely forgot about it!

Definitely hitting up a craft store this weekend for one of these.

Thanks!

4. Felt boards are awesome. I made a few for my classroom that I left behind for a new teacher when I left the profession. I wish I had of saved one of them for The Boy!

It was my sister’s suggestion, I think she used to have them in her classroom, too.

LOVE IT. And you did a much better job than I would have – finishing the back with the ribbon and everything. I’m totally making one of these this weekend!

If you cut the back neatly or (as I just realized) folded it under, you wouldn’t need the ribbon.

6. Kimberly says:

I saw this in my reader and picked up felt this afternoon! Thanks for the idea :)
    And I never had one as a kid. Apparently I was deprived.

It was all my sister’s idea. I had forgotten all about them.

I vaguely remember seeing something similar to this at church as a kid. I think it was on a huge board though…but I don’t know if you can find felt that large…what a shame.

AWESOME though, I want to do this…when I’m all snot-free.

Felt is really wide. 72 inches I think. It would be pretty easy to make a huge board. I think a wall mounted one would be neat in a play room or bedroom.

Natalie Reply:

See, this cold is making me all stupid. I was thinking you bought those little squares of felt and covered the board. I haz a stupid. I reread it and realized what you did there. haha I guess a huge board WOULD be doable…hmmm…*project*

The board is from yardage. The shapes are from the square. :)

8. I was thinking about something similar to this but your idea seems better! I’m going to bookmark this!

9. Awww I love this!!! :) I’m a teacher and can think of about 54379485273 different ways to use this!

-J

10. www says:

Howdy. I was considering adding a website link back to your site since both of our web sites are based around the same subject. Would you prefer I link to you using your website address: http://babybabylemon.com/index.php/2011/03/felt-board/ or web site title: Felt Board! » Baby Baby Lemon. Please let me know at your earliest convenience. Thanks. Kindest regards www