The Blue Room

So, this is going to be embarrassing. You know that closet or drawer you have where you just kind of shove things and you ignore it until the drawer jams from having one menu too many shoved in the back. Well, it’s confession time. I have a whole room like that. And this week if you don’t see me much on twitter it is because I am organizing it, cleaning it, if I get it done maybe even some free sprucing of it. It is awful. Don’t believe me? I can’t believe I am putting this on the internet, but here we go:

So much crap. See the little bookcase by the window – half of it is filled with VHS tapes. V. H. S. There are bins of diapers, blankets, abandoned diaper bag and laundry.

I’m not sure which is worse, the falling down wall decal or the fact that those shipping boxes are from christmas.

There is also stuffed shoved behind the TV. Including a magic 8 ball. I asked it if I could get this room clean in a week; it answered, try again later. Not a good sign.

Surprisingly, the closet is the least of my worries. Maybe because I couldn’t get to it to shove things in to it.

So. You’ve seen the horror. What is the plan? Well, today I got a bunch of the trash out. The wall decal is coming down, the bags of books need to find a home… I would like to re-frame the print over the TV, maybe clear out the bulk of the movie discs (and tapes). I have no idea what to about toys that don’t fit in bins. We have two buckets of blocks, a car garage, two bigger trucks. They seem to be too big for shelves. How do you store your toys? I’d love to hear. I hope to have some after pictures on Monday. Woot! Wish me luck.

Tags: , , ,

12 Responses to “The Blue Room”

1. Cole says:

Sometimes Mommy feels like our whole house is a junk room. :( Sigh – she’s itching to do some *major* spring cleaning, but finds it really hard when I’m around. Are you able to organize when Spence is home? How?!

At least you can still see the floor? Also, books – send any extras to me. I’ll put ‘em to good use. And pay shipping. WIN WIN. ;-)

3. We have a room like that too, it’s called Gadget Guy’s office. Everything gets dumped in there to tidy up “later”.

4. Anna says:

It actually doesn’t look too bad. At least you can see the floor.

5. Brigid Keely says:

Our “office” is like this, but that’s in large part because while I’ve been throwing out boxes and bags of stuff, including paper work, every single time we move (for a while we were moving every year, which yes is awful) my husband has been throwing all his stuff into unlabelled boxes.

We are settled where we are now for at least four more years (longer, if we can work out a school arrangement that suits us) unless something unusual happens, and we do not have extra storage. We don’t have a storage locker in the basement. We don’t have closets. We don’t have an attic. We have NOTHING but a vintage apartment designed for people who didn’t actually own anything (including towels! There is no bathroom closet! no coat closet, either.), and an unfinished basement with a mold problem (so I don’t to store anything down there unless it’s completely non-porous).

I cracked open one box and it had take out menus, a fat bundle of grocery store receipts from before we even lived together, an empty pack of gum, fourteen guitar picks, random paperbacks, dried out pens… general junk. AUGH!

We’re setting a timer for him to go through this stuff for twenty minutes or so when we have free moments and that’s helping to chip away at it. Right now we basically have a junk ROOM instead of a junk DRAWER, which severely limits the room’s actual functionality.

Good luck to you. Good luck to all of us.

6. OttosMom says:

Gah! Good luck! You can totally do it. Purge, purge, purge! That sounded weird but you know what I mean. Go you! I’d love to see after pics. Might inspire me to finish my similar project from January that I totally half-assed. xoxo!

7. Lyndsay says:

I’m no help for the storage ideas, but I will say that I am JELUS that you have a whole ROOM to shove stuff in! I’ve expanded to three junk drawers. It’s getting bad.

You’re going to feel so good when you get it all cleaned out though. Good luck!

8. Oh my goodness, I have a closet that looks like your entire blue room, Amy! Good for you for tackling your mess. Feel free to come over and do mine when you’re done. ;)

9. Leighann says:

I hope your cleaning is going well.
    We had a room like this until the Internet needed to be installed and they had to work in THAT room.
    I was mortified!
    We cleaned it in two days.

Yes, it is super embarrassing and if the door is open it can be seen from the living room. No good.

10. [...] because just about once ever quarter, I think that I can’t go on this way and I post about cleaning, or organizing* how I am really changing this time. And then… I never [...]

11. [...] exhausted. I put a lot of pressure on myself this week to finish a last minute writing project, clean up part of the house and I am flying solo and Spencer has pretty much been on nap strike and sleep rebellion. So, that [...]