Cutting Out the Crap

This is a post I swore I would never write never write. I don’t want to be that blogger and I really don’t want to write that post. But, and isn’t there always a but, I am and I did. Sorry. I wrote the weight loss post. Move on if you want.

A few things slapped me in the face with some major reality checks in the last few days…

…a miserable trip clothes shopping where I bought things that barely fit

…catching a glimpse of myself in the video chat box and not even recognizing myself, hunched and sad

…the desperate buying and hiding and eating of easter candy

…flinching every time Spencer lifts my shirt and tries to find and poke my belly button

I could go on, but I’ll just make myself even more upset. And so today I bought a scale and that, quite frankly, was the final straw. I am not going to go in to numbers because I am too ashamed, but I weigh 20 pounds more than I thought I did and I gained those in the last year, after I lost the baby weight. So this is regained weight. Awesome.

This isn’t baby weight or toddler weight or any cute name I could call it. This is since I quit working I eat more, move less and ingest way more crap. And those things I can change.

And change them I will. I am going to try on my own first, cutting out the crap, the junk food and cookies. Cutting down on coffee with milk and upping tea and water. Increasing vegetables way up, dessert down to once a week. If I am going to drink, I need to cut out the calorie bomb mixers like sour mix or tonic. I’m going to try and limit processed food and maybe eat out less.

In short, I want to make better choices. I don’t want to throw buzz words like clean living around and not stick to them. I don’t want to eat fake diet food or bars or shakes. Food. People are supposed to eat food. I don’t want to shock my metabolism or have cheat days. I am sure I am ripping this off from someone, but all I want to do is:

eat less. move more.

Don’t worry, this spot wont turn in to a diet blog and neither will my twitter. I may celebrate pounds lost or mourn a missed dessert, but I will not be doing weekly posts or logging my exercise routines on twitter. But cause that annoys me and I don’t want to annoy myself anymore than I already do.

Tags: ,

21 Responses to “Cutting Out the Crap”

1. Oh I feel you. I am feeling the exact same way. I wish you well and all the best in your new ‘mission’. I should do the same! Good luck!

My favorite diet advice ever is from Michael Pollan: Eat food, not too much, mostly plants.

That’s why I joined the CSA and why I’ve cut down our meat consumption to every other dinner (and haha! my husband didn’t even notice!)

I also have a huge problem with buying and hoarding and eating candy in secret. I am unable to control my portion size when it comes to sweets.

Veronica Reply:

I knew I hit rock bottom when I found myself in a walk in closet snuggled up to a fiesta sized bag of mini twix :O(

I agree – eat less, move more. And yet…

I don’t have the damn energy.

My portions are all out of whack. I can’t stop with the carbs ALL THE TIME. Ugh.

I want to get a pedometer so I can set a measurable goal. Keep in mind in January I set a goal to do 50 sit ups a day. Haven’t done it once! Getting a pedometer seems too complicated – there are 8 million kinds – which one is the RIGHT one?

Sigh. Also? The effed up sleep we get makes this SO MUCH HARDER. Poor sleep is a major contributor to weight gain. Good times, no?

Yeah, the sleep situation is not helping. But the bigger problem is the goddam reese’s peanut butter eggs. Stupid delicious candy.

I’m with you. I need to move more and eat less. I tend to do really well all day and then I’m starving by the end of the day & I become a cranky…monster. I have to find a better balance.

I’m supposed to be starting Insanity (the workout) soon. I realized after I tweaked my back & it healed faster than ever that the exercise WORKS. I mean, maybe I didn’t lose any weight, but it helped my back. That means something, right?

I keep hearing about Insanity, but I don’t really know what it is. Is this another of your crazy p90x crusades?

5. Veronica says:

i feel exactly the same way. i tried doing the fit to flab thing but honestly while breastfeeding my body refuses to lose weight but that does not mean i should be pounding mcdoubles in my suv like its my job.

anyway i feel your pain and im here for you. ive been looking for someone that is having similar issue. i wont annoy you but will keep my eye on your progress and cheer you on!

We can secret pow wows mourning the loss of doughnuts and bacon. And bacon covered doughnuts.

We can secret powwows mourning the loss of doughnuts and bacon. And bacon covered doughnuts.

6. TheNextMartha says:

Good luck. It’s always hard this time of year when it’s time to start wearing lighter clothes and no winter coats to cover up. Hmm. Maybe I should just move to the north pole.

I suppose I could go the sassy mumu route, but I am not really a fan of prints. Or Mrs. Roper.

7. Brigid Keely says:

You might find the Health At Every Size movement supportive of you/your situation, and you might also like to investigate Intuitive Eating. You might ALSO like http://www.fatnutritionist.com/ .

If secret binging is new behavior for you, you might want to look into why you’re doing it. A way to alleviate stress? Are you denying yourself and then overcompensating? Do you need extra comfort? Occasional binging is well within normal human eating parameters (see: Thanksgiving), but doing it often and feeling out of control is often a sign of something bigger going on. Figuring out what that thing is, and addressing it, can often help with the secret binging.

Good luck with establishing and sticking to eating and movement habits that are more healthy for you! The weather should be warming up soon making it easier to get out and play. :) Although you totally have the advantage of us… we had snow yesterday!

Thanks for your suggestions! I think it is mostly laziness and seasonal candy.

8. This is how I started too! I keep having to start over after an off week or whatever, but every day is new. Gradual changes really do work!! I’ve only been doing this for a little over a month now, but I feel a ton better, and am able to recognize (usually) when I need to stop eating so my stomach doesn’t feel so bloated and overfull. This is a problem that I’ve had for years, and it’s so nice to just stop eating and that’s that.

Congrats on the decision – you can do this!

9. I’m fat, I’m sick of being fat. I made a decision today to do something about it. But, I don’t think I’ll blog it. Other than a oh HAI I lost a bunch of weight woohoo celebration (if I lose that is).

So with that said, WE CAN DO THIS TOGETHER. If you need support feel free to DM, IM, or any other ‘M’ me.

10. OttosMom says:

Good for you! I think it’s that time of year. Seems like many many of the ladies I stalk in the blogworld are doing similar and your plan sounds sane and maintainable. I just bought a book on eating raw at the used bookstore today for similar reasons. I don’t just want to lose weight (although duh I do), but I want to get healthy. Turns out the cleanse probably isn’t in the cards for me either because I worried myself into a fun little ulcer recently and I figure if I cleanse my stomach will explode. So trying raw M-F for breakfast and lunch. Sounds manageable right? Anyways, sorry for the comment barf! It’s just close to the surface for me too. Otto calls my stomach a boob & pokes it pillsbury doughboy style #flattering … And in closing (haha, did you stop reading yet?)… Good luck to you mama! And even though weight loss blogs annoy me too – I hope to hear how it’s going for you. We all care about you and want to know how you’re doing <3

Not blogging about this is all lies. LIES. Ah, the stomach poke – toddlers are awesome.

11. Mandy says:

Good for you! We are here for you… successes and minor set-backs. Don’t apologize for blogging your journey… we read so we can take it with you. Someone will be inspired by what you do. It may even be me! :)

Proud of you! Good luck!

12. Nichole says:

Oh, Amy, I so hear you.

I have blogger butt. I just do.

I lost all of my baby weight, but have gained a ton back.
    Whenever I see myself spiraling out of control, I go back to eating whole foods, lots of fiber, blah blah blah. And that’s where I find myself at this moment.

Blogger butt.
    Writer roundness.
    Child chubbiness.

I get it. I so do.

13. Alison says:

I can totally relate! My youngest is 2. I lost all the “baby weight”, but have gained back about 20 pounds. It’s hard with two toddlers to find time to work out, and it’s really hard (for me, anyway) to consistently eat right.
    I wish you luck! And I hope you do blog some about your progress. It’ll be encouraging to those of us going through the same thing.