SITS Photo Challenge Day 1

There is an awesome two week photo project going on over on the SITS website. I was going to put together a flickr page and post the photos there, but when it comes down to it, I personally find flickr abuse really of annoying. People think that just because they found it on that site it is fair game to just take the photo, credit or no. And I would rather not have photos of Spencer end up somewhere funky. So, I will be posting some of the photos here.

Does that mean two weeks of two posts a day? I hope not. I think I will play it by ear, see what the day’s assignment is and see what happens.

Today’s assignment is to work on composition and perspective, specifically to mix things up. Take at least 20 photos (in 5-30 minutes) and change up the perspective: get low, shoot from the side, snap from above and to think about composition. There was something about thinking before clicking, but I am trying to photograph a toddler – pause to compose and he runs away.

I’m not going to post all 20 photos here (because who am I kidding, I took 42 in 6 minutes), but just some of my favorites.

I started by taking shooting Spencer from above.

Then got low to try a new angle.

He noticed what I was doing and climbed on top of me.

So, I shot from an up angle for awhile.

This might be my favorite of the bunch.

Being a supermodel is exhausting.

Can’t wait to see what the assignment is for tomorrow!

Tags: , , ,

15 Responses to “SITS Photo Challenge Day 1”

1. Lynda says:

Such a unique perspective on these photos!

I am really curious about “flickr abuse”… has it happened to you before? I’ve been on Flickr for about 5 or 6 years now and have a pro account so I can track who’s linking to my pictures from the site. I actively tag and invite people to use my photos through my creative commons license.

People rarely ever use my photos without credit. You can set up your privacy so that people can’t easily access your photo for sharing.

I think it’s a great tool and will be talking about it more on Thursday. If you’ve had some negative experiences with Flickr, I’d love to hear more about it.

Lynda Reply:

Though I agree, you can’t really be too careful with photos of your kids.

You can also post a private photo or set on Flickr and generate a “guest pass” so that only those who visit through the link can see the photos.

It doesn’t happen so much with pictures of people, but I read a lot of blogs that do flickr fun posts, or whatever, and credited or no, it makes me vaguely uncomfortable. Of course, people could just pull things of my blog if they wanted to.
    I do have a flickr that I use for sharing photos with family and friends that is private, but for purposes of the challenge it seemed easier to have something open.
    I set one up linked to the blog name. I’m looking forward to Thursday and getting more information about flickr.
    Thanks!

ZOMG. The Spencer foot made my day. MADE MY DAY. I love it. I think I’m going outside right now to try the challenge. Yay!

I like they way, in the last picture, he even looks like he’s got the “stare off into space like a supermodel” look down.

These are all really really good! They look like fancy camera pictures! The light and the angles are really working for you! Exclamation point! Seriously though, you should re-think the fancy camera purchase. If this is what you can do with a point & shoot you’d be amaaaazing with a DSLR.

5. Em says:

These are adorable. I love the foot!

Thanks! I’m partial to the foot too.

6. Michelle says:

Love those pics, especially the foot photo. Very cute. Great job. ;)

Peace. ;)

7. […] the assignment for day 2 is pretty much to blog the photos we took yesterday, which I already did here. Also, there are some great photo editing tips in the daily post, so go check it out. To keep […]

8. […] challenge was regarding composition and perspective, and mixing it up (as Amy put it). Today you were supposed to blog the photos from yesterday, or work on your editing using […]

9. Mimi says:

I love the foot shot!

such a happy accident!

10. Amanda says:

Hilarious! My kiddos are such hams on camera, and they ALWAYs climb on top of me too! I love the foot one and the passed out one (did that really happen?!?). Great shots!!

Stopping by from SITS! Good luck on your challenge (I am SO out of the loop:)

11. […] feel like I am exhausting everyone, myself included, with photos this week because of the SITS photo challenge (tomorrow is going to have a cute day in the life post) so I think I will keep this […]