Easy Craft: Color Silhouette

I love the idea of crafting more than the actual act itself sometimes and now that crafts requiring anything best kept out of toddler hands are relegated to nap time, I need them quick and easy. This one is super simple and really fast. Even with painting, it took maybe 30 minutes after I printed everything. I’m not sure of the exact time because there was a little pause in the middle while I asked my crafting guru, Suzanne, for her opinion.

I got the idea and the instructions from a tutorial on SITS, but that silhouette is a classic black and white. I wanted something funkier and I remembered this (found on Pinterest and I am SO BUMMED that the shop is on vacation because I would buy one in a red hot minute):

So, now I had my basic idea. I just needed to figure out what I had in the house that I could use to make this happen. I completely lose interest in a project if I have to go buy things. What was my end result?

I love it! How did I get there? It was a bunch of happy accidents, so I’ll take you through the process and tell you how to make your own awesomeness (I am dying to make one in grey/yellow or teal/orange).

I started out with some basic supplies:

I took a frame I felt like changing up, printed background paper (I googled free stripe printable) and a profile shot of Spencer printed on cardstock. I happened to have cream 4×6 cardstock, so I used that. I initially planned to do cream on green.

Then I cut everything out. To do the silhouette, just cut very carefully around the profile image with scissors or a craft knife. Then flip, so the plain side is up. I then wrapped the background paper around the cardboard frame and place the silhouette cut-out in the desired location and load the frame back up. I intentionally went with an off-center look because I thought it would look a little more modern.

So, I liked it. But, I didn’t LOVE it. So, I did what any normal person would do and emailed the picture to Suzanne. And when she did not answer my email in 2 minutes, I tweeted her to tell her to check her email. Spencer had already been snoozing an hour before I started this project and I had to get it done before he woke up! Looking at it now, I think if I had flipped it to landscape then, I may have liked it more, but I was hung-up on it being portrait and it all worked out for the best in the end.

We decided that the improvement needed was changing the color of the silhouette to something more vibrant. I went with orange because I had orange paint thought it would pop against the green. I just did 2 light coats of acrylic paint, letting the paint dry about 5 minutes in between. I was going to reassemble in the frame when I looked over on the counter and saw a note card that came with my recent Uff Da! order.

This was kismet, people. Using the notecard, forced a flip in the orientation and the colors looked great together.

Since that was the a really random attempt at instructions, here are the basic steps:

1. Procure frame, background paper (card, printed paper, cardstock, scrapbook paper) and a profile photo printed on cardstock. And some paint, if the color of the cardstock is not the color you want the silhouette to be.
  2. Cut background paper to fit frame.
  3. Cut out silhouette from photo.
  4. Paint silhouette, if needed.
  5. Assemble in frame, using a smidge of glue (a glue stick or spray adhesive would probably work best) if desired. I just stacked them.
  6. Stand back and admire your fast and easy art

I’m linking with Thirty Handmade Days.

Tags: , , , , , , ,

17 Responses to “Easy Craft: Color Silhouette”

1. Amanda says:

Love it!

Thanks so much!

You know, I NEVER would have thought to just print a background off the internet. Or to paint the cardstock. I would have had to go to the craft store for different kinds of scrapbook paper and this would have ended up costing me $40 (because who goes to the craft store without buying $40 worth of stuff?) You’re house is cuter AND you’ve saved me money. I tip my hat to you, good sir.

I made a second one for my MIL with colored cardstock today and the sheen is a little different. I might like painting it for the texture alone, even if the paper is the right color.

Oh, holy crap woman! I LOVE IT. And now want to make them all day. So, SO simple. Also, like Suzanne, NEVER would have thought to use the interwebs. Nice outside-the-box thinking!

I’ve printed emergency wrapping paper before. There is tons of cute stuff out there if you can wade through the ads and lame designs.

4. Rebecca says:

Love it!

So cute!

You’re a regular ol’ Bob Ross with all your happy little accidents. ; )

Aww. Bob Ross! Happy little trees!

5. this is perfect! i’m so honored that my card to you is included in this lovely craft. if you need more of them, check the dollar section at target, heehee! (-;

this really is so cute and i’ve totally noticed what a cute profile spencer has, so i think it’s great you’ve captured it with a sweet little craft that can be enjoyed for years. lovely job!!!

The colors in that card were just too perfect! I love that it has a little Emily in it!

6. Patricia L says:

Now, that is awesome! I love when things just come together like that. Found you @ 30 Days

Thanks for stopping by!

7. Brigid Keely says:

That looks super fantastic! What a great idea, and wonderfully executed!! *pinned*

Thanks! And being pinned made my day :)

8. Crystal says:

That is so cute! I love the color.

Thanks!

9. Lila says:

Wow – great, colorful, interesting . . . this looks really good, and it sounds so easy! I’m seeing a similar technique I could us eon ceramics I have waiting to be painted.

So glad I found you on SITS!