Twenty lost, Plenty to go

I stepped on the scale on Wednesday and it was official. I’d finally stopped bouncing around 19 pounds lost and hit 20. Twenty! That’s a big deal to someone who has never done a formal look at the scale/track calories kind of plan. I must say, I am still really,really loving SparkPeople. It is enough guidance to help me out, but nothing is set in stone.

I’m sure I will show no gain or a few ounces up on Thursday because I had cookies AND beer today, but whatever. I’m celebrating. And being able to celebrate or relax is part of what I love about what I am doing. I am truly working towards a lifestyle change. And in that lifestyle, there needs to be room for cookies and beer. And gin.

That flexibility is super important to me. I just needed to understand that those things are treats. Once a week or on a special occasion is fine. It all comes out in the wash as long as I am dedicating myself to healthier eating the rest of the time. The other thing that is hugely important to me is eating real food. Really, I mostly just cut out a lot of snacking and dessert, added a bunch of vegetables and fruit. Simple steps in keeping with my primary goal: eat less, move more.

As for exercise, I try and go to the park every day, walk once or twice a week, use our elliptical three times a week. Nothing major, but I know I need to add in some strength training. Does anyone know of any easy home videos that are short and just use body weight or resistance bands? Something in the 20-30 minute range? Let me know.

I have some thoughts on more posts (and maybe an update with pictures at 25 or 30 lost), but I don’t know what people are interested in hearing about. I don’t want to be boring. I have some great 200-300 calorie lunch and breakfast combinations, getting acquainted with the SparkPeople website, reducing the calories in meals, staying on track/still losing on vacation (5 pounds!). Anything sound interesting to anyone?

I just want to thanks everyone for their support. The internet is just the best place to find high-fives, congrats and positive reinforcement. Except when it isn’t. But that is a post of another day.

Join me at: SparkPeople.com

This post is not sponsored or endorsed by Spark People.

Tags: ,

18 Responses to “Twenty lost, Plenty to go”

GAH! So, SO AWESOME. Good for you!

Thank you. I would not have been able to do it with out my “online” friends.

2. Mel says:

Way to go! I too am on the weight loss bandwagon & have finally hit 25! It’s hard work but seeing that scale go lower & lower really makes me feel like what I’m doing is paying off! Keep up the good work girl!

Thanks so much! And congrats on 25! That is awesome!!!

You’re the awesome. Personally? The low calorie meals are appealing, b/c I’m doing what you’re doing and I’m tired of eating the same stuff.

I’m doing much more than cookies and beer when I hit 20 lbs lost. Your willpower is crazy awesome :)

I did not mention how many cookies. And then the pretzels after I wrote the post. I had a wee little carb binge, but I’m right back on track today. Mmm. Carbs.

4. Katherine says:

Good for you!!!! I highly HIGHLY recommend the 30day shred video. It’s like 25 minutes. It’s toning and cardio and strength training all in one. You can use hand weights…I don’t.

And I agree…there ALWAYS needs to be room cookies and beer and gin and wine and vodka and whiskey. Oh and chocolate.

Thanks! I tried 30 Day Shred and had 2 issues 1) I think I need to lose a little more weight first or something because it killed my knees. 2) I have hardwood floors and all the jumping was so loud, I would wake Spencer up from his nap and end my exercise window.

I think I will try it again later this summer.

5. TheNextMartha says:

That is great! Keep up the good work. Leave the cookies for me.

We can share the cookies. Or you can pry them from my cold, dead hand. Mmmm. dead people cookies.

6. OttosMom says:

Congrats!

Thanks!

7. great work, mama! you should be super proud!!! <3

I am super impressed, especially the losing weight on vacation thing. I always get off track when I tell myself “oh but it’s VACATION” and suddenly I’ve eaten Big Macs three times in one week. I would love to hear which 200-300 calorie meals really help fill you up, and also what you snack on when you’re SO HUNGRY you can’t wait for another meal. Congrats hot mama!!

My go to snacks are super boring. I get a beverage first (water, coffee or tea) then have grapes, baby carrots or celery. Sometimes I’ll have crackers or something, but I have a hard time stopping once I start down the path of delicious, delicious carbs.

9. Morgan B. says:

You are seriously rocking it! You should be really, really proud of yourself. What you are doing is totally challenging and you are kicking fat’s ass right now. *high five*

Thanks! It is a pain in the ass, but will be worth it in the end.

10. […] talked about my weight-loss journey before and I am thisclose to losing 25 pounds. When I hit that, I’ll do an update post with […]