And Sometimes I Overreact: A Short Play

Scene begins with banging on the door

Mother With Toddler n hip [Opens Door]: Hello?

Door-to-door religious person: Hello, happy day! I see you have your hands full. Ha!Ha!

MWTOP: MmmHmm

DTDRP: Well, we’re just here today to talk to you about death. A lot of people are scared by the big, bad world out there, with terrorism and {mumble} trial and I would like to read you a verse that you can find comfort in.

MWTOP: Are your parents still alive?

DTDRP: Why, yes!

MWTOP: Mine both died by the time I was 35 and no bible verse is going to bring them back.

DTDRP: {wtf look on face}

MWTOP: [Closes door]

end scene

Tags: ,

13 Responses to “And Sometimes I Overreact: A Short Play”

1. Jessi says:

The same thing happened to me when I was taking the trash out one day. The only difference is, I lost a son. They had the nerve to ask how I knew my son was in heaven and that I was going there too. Sick.

I don’t think it’s an overreaction at all. Good for you, mama.

I just don’t know what these people are thinking. And is it ever successful? They should just give up.

Jessi Reply:

Seriously. You can’t tell me that garbage is well-received, even 25% of the time.

2. Amanda says:

I am very much in the mood to put a sign on my front door that says:

No my carpets do not need to be cleaned.
    No I do not want to join your church.
    No I do not need you to mow my lawn.
    YES I will buy your Girl Scout cookies!

Add “I do not want a magazine subscription” and it would be perfect for me. You could make a fortune selling signs on etsy.

3. *slow clap*
    Highly effective. I like it.
    I LOVE living out in the middle of nowhere.

Maybe I’ll get on the “do not visit” list. There must be one.

4. Criss says:

My (step)sister, who lost her mother a few months ago, had a similar situation. She should have handled it like this, though; she tried reasoning with the people instead, explaining she had lost her mother and this was hard for her to talk about. They didn’t care. (How very Christ-like of them, no?)

The worst part is she DOES go to church and have a relationship with God (as do I). With “Christians” like these, who needs Satan?

I’ve had them try that “I know you’re scared of the TERRORISTS” thing too. I usually just say “No, we own guns.” and send them on their way. I applaud your response.

6. i nevvvvvver answer my door during the day. i’m such a hermit.

I answered the door because I am an idiot. The knock sounded EXACTLY like my FIL, but he is not only out of town, but out of the country…

Bravo to you! No overreaction at all from where I sit.

8. […] And Sometimes I Overreact: A Short Play […]