The Juice is Loose

I don’t get the juice hate. Sure, it isn’t the most nutritious thing in the world and water is a better thirst quencher. I give Spencer (no sugar added) juice (cut with water) daily. Maybe a total of 6 – 8 ounces. He also eats whole fruits and tons of vegetables. I consider our diet sound. My doctor even asked if I was giving him juice and was pleased with the answer yes.

So, when I see the I never allow juice in my house, it’s like beating your child’s health with a sippy tweets, I must admit I roll my eyes a bit. Maybe, I am missing something. I know there is a childhood obesity epidemic, but I really don’t think juice is the culprit. I mean juice juice, not fruit punch or lemonade or sugary drinks masquerading as juice.

This could be because I live in an area where it is not uncommon to see soda poured into bottles. Not sippy cups, bottles. In the waiting room of my doctor’s office, Spencer was snacking on raisins (I suppose those are evil, too) and here is the list of what the toddler set was snacking on: strawberry milk, doritos, twizzlers, m&ms and one kid had a capri sun. And this was at 9:30 in the morning.

So, tell me. Why am I supposed to hate juice again? I buy organic after all…

He had chips on his birthday. And lemonade. Call CPS.

Tags: , ,

18 Responses to “The Juice is Loose”

1. Katherine says:

BWAHAHAHA! This is so right on. I feel the same way. She has juice almost daily. Sometimes we feed her hotdogs and mac-n-cheese too. And you know what else? My kid LOVES ice cream! She’s gonna be SO FAT. Or not. Because we balance it with plenty of healthy foods and LOTS of exercise and it’s a treat. All in moderation, folks!

Exactly, moderation is key.

2. the grumbles says:

HA! amen. and Katherine above, ditto on moderation. We even (gasp!) get ice cream sundaes from McDonalds! as a rare special treat. Poison.

I am anti juice, though not because I think it’s bad. I just don’t like the constant stream of, “juuuuuuice! juuuuuuuuuuuuice? juuuice.” whining. you’ll get water and YOU’LL LIKE IT. or you won’t but too bad we’re out of juice.

It’s just the smugness of the anti-juicies. Drives me nuts. I am anti-juice box because of the squeezing and the straw poking and the drama.

3. Brigid Keely says:

It’s like… whole fruit is ok and mashed up fruit (apple sauce or whatever) is ok, but juice is somehow Wrong and Bad? Eff that. I don’t give Niko a LOT of juice because it can lead to a case of the poops, but he gets 1-2 cups of no sugar (or HFCS) added juice cut with water a day.

And notice that even the pro-juice people are quick to stress that they don’t give full powered juice! No! And it’s no sugar added! It’s special juice! HEALTHY JUICE! Not like those other people who give their kids crap juice! There’s definitely weird-ass parenting competitiveness about juice.

You are so right about the qualifiers. I laughed a bit at myself when I added them. But, I added them because they are true and even the adults water their juice in this house. We just like it better that way. As for sugar added juice, I was never allowed it as a child and I don’t really think there is much difference between giving a kid sugar added juice and an orange soda. Well, except bubbles. Which really makes the soda superior. I’m not sure what age I’ll allow soda, that is a whole different pickle, isn’t it…

4. Alana says:

We just started a little juice in a sippy! We buy Honest Kids. Organic. First is water. Is yum.
    No juice boxes for the reasons above!
    Also I hate the judgement! It’s gotten out of control these days. Youre a great mom and clearly love Spencer and care about his health!

I’m not worried about him having juice or people judging me. This is more a reaction I had to the people on twitter insisting that it is better for their kid to suck on bacon than eat some fruit or GOD FORBID drink a little juice.

5. Kim says:

OMG At the store this morning I was looking at the juice I used to looooove when I was a kid (like the ones shaped like a jug with the foil top that you had to pierce with your front teeth- or the bottle shaped ones with the plastic tab at the top!) and feeling a little nostalgic, but I wouldn’t be caught dead with that stuff in my fridge now. HFCS has ruined everything.

I was just talking to my husband about HFCS and he said that the price of corn is going up and things are probably going to start moving back to sugar. You know what I loved as a kid, but only had at other kid’s birthday parties? That jug orange drink. I loved it!

Kim Reply:

I actually had a pretty interesting convo about nutrition with JD’s cardiologist (we were discussing his already super healthy organic diet while trying to figure out how to lower his cholesterol), and he quoted a study that showed children 30 years ago ate the same amount of calories as children today, but there was no obesity epidemic. He thinks a huge factor is HFCS.

Suzanne Reply:

They’ve re-branded those as real juice, instead of just sugar water and are selling them as healthy now – I’ve seen the ad in Parenting magazine. I did a double take!

My kid drinks watered down Crystal Light, which probably means I’m the worst mother in the world. But it’s the only real juice we keep in the house – besides when I occasionally remember to buy him some veggies hidden in the fruit juice to try to get an extra vegetable into him – and at least it’s not going to rot his teeth or make him fat, right?

Right now real fruit is delicious and cheap so I wouldn’t replace fruit with juice but in the winter? I don’t really see anything wrong with it. Seriously, who hates juice?! ALL kids drink juice!

7. I’m with you. Juice is not the enemy. The sweet tea I see in bottles & sippies down here….that’s the enemy!

8. Yes, arguing about juice just feels ridiculous. I didn’t give my first kid much juice because the pediatrician’s form at each visit would say “KIDS DON’T NEED JUICE!” I’m not kidding about the all caps. Give me a break. But you know what? Boy#2 has been so constipated lately that I give him (organic, watered-down, all the same qualifiers you have) juice every day or two. Problem solved. So there you have it, Sanctimommies of Twitter: sometimes juice is actually a good thing.

9. Blond Duck says:

Popped in from SITS to say hi!

10. Veronica says:

Ya well my 11mo drinks juice so I win. Chick is like constipated on the reg what the hell else am I supposed to do?

11. Elaine says:

I think the main reasoning for being anti-juice is because it’s considered empty calories and too much sugar. BUT. We do drink it around here, just usually watered down like you say and not from concentrate.

I’m not trying to sound smug but I try to limit sugar because DNA is NOT on my kids’ side and I eat a low-sugar diet most of the time myself.

But this is just like anything we Moms “disagree” about – do what you think is right for your family but don’t berate others for what they do…

I mean, right? ;)