12 in 2012

We are ignoring both my lateness and my bandwagon jumping with this post. But I would read it, even if you are sick of resolution posts. Because I am just that awesome. Who am I kidding, you have already skipped. Well, a pox on you then. You are going to miss out.

I failed horribly at my resolutions last year, I don’t even want to look at them. I think maybe Jill at Baby Rabies has the right idea. I think I can accomplish 12 things in 2012.

1. Get rid of the stuff I don’t want from my parent’s house that is still lurking about. I need to either dump it at a consignment store or a thrift store, but I barely have room in my house for the stuff I do like, not need to fill a closet with extra stuff.
  2. Fix the front yard. We have hated the landscaping since we ripped the bushes out. Before my baby shower for Spencer. In 2009.
  3. Streamline our financial accounts. We have 3 checking accounts, 1 money market, 5 or 6 savings accounts, Roth IRAs and a 529 with a company we dislike and other scattered investments. It is a little ridiculous and we are not optimizing anything and it is a giant pain in the ass come tax time.
  4. Read at least a book a month from books we already own that I haven’t read. Perhaps, I will even try Cloudsplitter again, but only if I get desperate.
  5. Put up our map wall in the dining room. We’ve been buying rad map and geographic prints from Fab, Etsy and Heartsy for a year and I think we finally have enough to start our gallery like wall. There are also a few map crafts on Pinterest I might mix in.*
  6. Complete a project 365, or in the case of 2012, a project 366. I started an abandoned it in 2011, but mostly due to trying to deal with tumblr and reposts on the blog, Also, it got derailed by our vacation because I didn’t want to post out of town photos while we were still out of town.
  7. Refinance or move. We are throwing money away with current rates being what they are. We contacted out mortgage broker last summer and never did anything with it. Which may or may not work in our favor, because rates are even lower now. I think. Or we’re screwed. Nothing I can do about it now but move forward. I need to let our broker know she is allowed to nag me. She was way to polite about my failure to respond.
  8. Take Spencer to at least two, hopefully three, state capitals. If we’re ever going to get Spence to all 50 the time he turns 18, we have to keep going. Hooray for arbitrary goals. I think he’s already been to 11. At 2.5, that isn’t bad.
  9. Organize my kitchen. It is ridiculous. I have like 3 junk drawers and weird dishes in weird places and nothing makes any sense.
  10. Visit at least one new state. This looks to be either BlissDom in Tennessee in Feb, or if I skip that, I’m inviting myself to Connecticut.
  11. Take Spencer to Disneyland. He’s free until three and we’re only a few hours away, so it would be dumb to not try and make it happen before his birthday in July.
  12. Have a baby. In June. Maybe July. Most likely June. Surprise! This is how the post was originally written. Because of some issues at the 12 week appointment, I waited to tell the universe until after my 16 week appointment. Which would be the appointment I was surprised with some additional news. I like this goal so much, I’m doing it twice. That’s right. TWINS IN 2012. More details here.
  13. I am debating adding a bonus 13: buy stretchy pants. 13.1 Find out where to buy stretchy pants. I didn’t get any the last time around.

So, this list seems a little simple, but it all honestly, these are things I am going to try and mostly knock out in the first half of the year. Except knowing me, I’ll be scrambling to do the financial ones next December. I like researching stuff like that, but hate the contacting and communicating and meeting that business transactions involve. Ugh. I’m shuddering just thinking about it.

Tags: , , ,

21 Responses to “12 in 2012”

1. Jill @babyrabies says:

WHAAAAAA? Holy crap! Yay! Congrats to you!!!

I’m still in the holy craps twins stage. I can’t think much past eeeeeek TWO babies.

2. Jayme says:

That is quite the surprise! Congratulations!

3. Cole says:

Ohmigosh, congratulations!!!! Your map wall sounds way cool, as does the idea to visit all the state capitals, but that sneaky news at the end there kind of steals the spotlight!

4. Amanda says:

Congratulations (x2)!!!!!! And yay stretchy pants!! And yay free Disney babies (z is free for us this year too)!! And the state capitals? That’s an awesome goal!

5. oh my! what a list! and i literally gasped out loud. twins?!?!? so many congratulations! =)

TWINS?! TWINS?!???!?!??! TWIIIIIIIIINS!!!!!!

7. Leah says:

Oh my goodness, TWINS?! Congratulations and the best of luck!

That’s a sneaky little announcement right there! CONGRATULATIONS!!!!

Also, you’re invited to Virginia. You can knock out Richmond, and Washington D.C. in one trip. And probably Maryland, if you’re feeling ambitious. I KNOW – Suzanne should visit her parents and we can all meet there. HOW’S THAT?!

There are definite DC/Virginia plans afoot.Maybe in 2013. My husbands never been.

Suzanne Reply:

DONE. Just pick a date.

9. Katherine says:

Ummm….HOLY CRAP! Nice little bomb dropped with #12! That’s awesome and crazy and amazing. Congrats!

10. Ashley @ Mama of All Trades says:

Congratulations!!!

11. molly says:

OMG, Amy! Congratulations X2 to you and your family!!! So excited for you :)

12. melissa says:

congratulations!!!!! that is such great news!!!

13. Brigid Keely says:

Congratulations! Good health to you and the babies!

14. Leanne says:

Congratulations! That is great news and how fun the way you “shared” it! Also, I have random things at my parent’s house that need to be dealt with, too! I have a 12 for 2012 post looming over my head, too. I’ve just been ridiculously busy! Thanks for the inspiration to do it, even if it is late!

15. Jessica says:

OMG! Congrats! That is SO exciting! :-D TWINS!?! How crazy! Two babies, TWO! Lots of stretchy pants, lots and lots, those were my “dress” pants when I was pregnant. I had good luck at Old Navy and Kohls.

16. Suz says:

Congrats! Get yourself a copy of Dr Barbara Luke’s Expecting Twins, Triplets or Quads. It’s been a great multiples pregnancy resource. & eat up! & buy lots of comfy maternity pants! When’s your due date? Are you seeing a MFM or still at OB? I’m sixteen weeks now with the triplets of I guess you’re just a week ahead of me? My MFM’s goal is 34 weeks for me. I think twins is usually 36 weeks right?

Someone else just recommended that very same book to me. I think we’re due pretty close together. 2012 is going to be exciting!

So weird. WP totally truncated your comment in my dashboard. I just saw the rest. My singleton due date was 6/26, so as of today, that would make me 16+6, I think. I still haven’t seen an OB yet. I was seeing a family practice doc until the twins popped up on an ultrasound at my 16 weeks appointment, I hadn’t had an ultrasound yet. From my internet research, it seems 36 is normal for twins, but they will let you go past.