An App A Day…

keeps the doctor away? I don’t even know what that means.

I need some app help. I have an iphone, macbook and an ipad, so am looking for apple functionality although Spencer basically stole the ipad so I am not even sure I should be counting that one. Well, anyway. I have needs.

Sporty:

As I said in my 12 in 2012 redux post, I would like to start logging calories and exercise again, but I can’t find an app I love. I’ve tried the sparkpeople app, which is ok there are lots of foods and I like being able to search the user added foods, but a lot of the time those are wrong. Also, the exercise part seems to grossly overestimate the calories burned using the elliptical machine. I tried the Losing It app, but it doesn’t have most of the food I eat and I am too lazy to manually add a certain type of granola bar so I just pick something else and I’m not sure how accurate that might be. So, still looking.

Organize:

Looking for a list or to do list app, but mostly for grocery store and target list. I tried Errands, but don’t like the interface to enter things or go get them. This needs to be easy because I can barely remember to write things on the board, let alone remember to look at the list before I go. Someone on twitter recommended Out of Milk, which sounded perfect, but I couldn’t find it in the app store.  I need a grocery app with the ability to make a list by store and have multiple stores: ie make a target list, a trader joe’s list, etc. In an ideal world, they would be linked in some way and I could put something on a list in more than one store and it would take it of any list when i checked it off.

This isn’t really an app so much as I am looking for a cleaning schedule. I really want to get better about routine cleaning things, like fridge, mini blinds, medicine cabinets, that sort of thing. I don’t know how often these sorts of things are supposed to be cleaned. If I could find even a chart (that isn’t quite as overwhelming as Martha or the Fly Lady) I could input reminders into google calendar or something. But an app would be awesome.

Efficiency:

I need to move beyond laptop stickies and rouge word files for blog management. What to people use to keep track of stuff? I use a calendar for deadlines, but what about for ideas, links, inspiration stuff? I’m all over the place with where I read things online so I don’t have a consistent method and I end up losing things because some are pinned, some are bookmarked and some are starred in my reader.

And what do people think about link posts? I was thinking about bringing back 5 things I love this week (I think it has been over a year, I think, since I have done one), but I feel like link posts are all over the place right now. I’m starting to think that unless they have a specific them or are from a really good curator, the posts can be a little boring.

12 Responses to “An App A Day…”

1. Amanda says:

MyFitnessPal. It works. I have use it occasionally. and I am currently using OneNote for all my lists. It’s not fancy but it synchs up with my iPad and iphone. I used it at the grocery store the other day and it worked enough. Much better than my 10,000 paper lists all over the house.

I’m starting to think that nothing is going to make me happy until I have a magic life app that solves all my problems.

2. Suz says:

I second myfitnesspal. And I recently downloaded out of milk for grocery lists. Not sure for blogging.

I just got myfitnesspal. It already made me sad by giving me 200 fewer calories per day with the same exact information as lose it.

I’ve been thinking about your efficiency question too. My current method of keeping track of stuff online is leaving the tab open in my browser. Which means my browser has 12 tabs open right now. And if I don’t get to reading all of them, and linking or whatever it is I want to do with them today, I’ll just leave the browser open. And never shut down my computer. Which can go on for days. This is a lousy system, I don’t recommend it. I’ve heard good things about Evernote, and am getting super close to trying it.

I do the exact same thing with the tabs. And then invariable, I fail to plug my laptop in on time when the battery gets low and the browser can’t restore the session. I have evernote, I just fail to use it. Right there I might have identified part of my problem. All the apps in the world aren’t going to help me if I fail to use them.

TMae Reply:

I use the “read later” function in Safari too. But I have 23 things in there. Maybe I need to stop saving and start reading.

4. MKP says:

I love “Scatterbrain” – you can colorcode stuff by what kind of stuff it is, check it off/delete it, sort it, write as much or as little as you need, and I think it will update across your phone/iPad (I’ve never tried to use a macbook version if it exists)

That sounds like a good one. I’ll have to check it out. Thanks!

5. wendy says:

The app is called “remember the milk” (might explain why you can’t find it :)). I used it for a bit and didn’t love it. I also tried “teuxdeux” and like it better but I think you only get one list. I need a list and calendar so now I use “calvetica” and I love it.

I tried teuxdeux, but it was too simple. And thank you for the milk name! I don’t know how I switched that up.

6. Kat says:

We just started using Cozi Family Organizer. So far so good! meal plan, shopping list, to do list, calendar all in one. And you can manage from almost any phone, your computer or your ipad, so if you are watching something with spence on the ipad and suddenly remember you need vanilla, you can add it right then (that is, assuming he lets you use it! lol) Also can send reminders to your phone. Different family members get a different color code so you can micro manage.