How to Figure Out When You’ve Fallen Out of Love with a Blog

Let’s face it, sometimes we change, we grow apart, things just aren’t the same. We know we start to feel a little different, the romance is gone. But. What to do?How do you know if it is time to cut your loses and move on. I thought I would share my simple little tip for knowing when a blog has lost its luster.

How to tell when you've fallen out of love with a blog

I shared this tip in a class I am taking and people seemed to respond well, so I thought I would share it here. I use google reader, but I imagine it would work in any reader that has a favorites function. As I am going through my reader, I use the star/favorite button in google reader to mark any post I skim or a post that is in a truncated RSS feed and I don’t click through. Then, at the end of the month, I go back through and see if any blogs have multiple stars in the month. If a blog has more than two, I normally unsubscribe.

Sometimes, when I’m on the fence about a blog, I go over and like their facebook page (here’s mine. hint. hint). That way, I still see most of the feed and I can click through if I want, but I don’t find it as obtrusive as being in my reader because, honestly, if it is in my reader I do feel a bit obligated to read it. It’s a little like being “on a break.”

Now obviously I am not recommending that we all stop reading all the blogs, but sometimes we add so many that it gets overwhelming and then we don’t want to read any of it and the mark all as read button is looking mighty tempting… Rather than through your hands in the air (and wave them around like your full of┬ádespair. Wait. That isn’t how it goes) and give up, try figuring out which blogs you have outgrown and make your reader a happier place.

All else fails, just repeat: it’s not you, it’s me.

Tags: , , , ,

20 Responses to “How to Figure Out When You’ve Fallen Out of Love with a Blog”

1. Heather says:

I really like this idea! I have so many that I’m on the fence about. I may just use the stars on those.

Sometimes it is hard to remember if I didn’t like just a post or a string of posts. I tend to unsub from the ones where I skim more than one post a week, first.

2. molly says:

My reader is CRAZY. I mean like hundreds of blogs I don’t ever read or comment on. But I don’t know where to start. I feel like cleaning it up would take hours. So I just marked the ones that I usually comment on and click through to those.

I had that problem and actually gave up last year. I started a new reader with a new email and added people back in. It got out of control again, but not to the same state.

3. This is a really good idea. I may follow your advice. My Reader is getting a little out of hand, and I often think as I’m scrolling through the posts with 9 million photos of craft projects I care nothing about that I should really unsubscribe from at least a handful of sites.

My first step is always looking at the ones that post more than once per day and decide if I really want to see that much of them in my reader, lol.

Oh, what a good idea. I use Google Reader but I use the “next” button so when I’m skimming I just hit “next” a little faster. But because I NEVER go to my dashboard I NEVER unsubscribe to blogs I have fallen out of love with for whatever reason. I will take your advice about liking them on Facebook though – that’s a good idea. I can read the posts if I’m on FB looking for something interesting but don’t feel OBLIGATED to read because it’s in my reader. You’re so bloggy smart!

I think if I did a better job of following my own advice, I would use the next button more. I get some cleaned out, but there are still a lot that should go…

5. Carolyn West says:

I’ve been trying to sort out my reader lately because although I still might “like” a person, I don’t necessarily always like their writing style. I find that I do change it up a lot and there really are only a handful of blogs I can say I’ve been following for a long time.

I really think the unsubscribe in reader/follow on facebook method works well for friends. And then if it happens to be a friend that is also a facebook friend, sometimes I resort to hiding their page if they also post all of their links to their personal page. Some times for me, I realize that I just can’t take the noise – of seeing post in reader, then on facebook (twice) and then on twitter too and eliminating some of the methods makes me like it again.

6. MKP says:

I’m in some sort of middle school livejournal quandary with a couple of online friends I’ve had for .. 8 years?!?! So on the one hand, we’ve been together for so long…on the other, we’ve grown apart. But because it’s LJ and my entries there are friend-locked, my journal would just disappear to them :~/
    I wish there was a solution this easy for that.

That is really tricky. I tend to do the unseen methods. No one knows who is subscribed to a blog, just the numbers. No one knows if you hide their page on fb. They DO know if you unfriend them, unfollow them or the like, so I tend to do the less confrontational thing and do that as a last, last resort.

Brigid Keely Reply:

That’s part of why I like Dream Width. You can give people access to your journal so they can read you, but you don’t have to subscribe to their stuff. (and you can subscribe to their stuff without giving access to yours,as well) Not that that solves your problem or anything.

7. alana says:

i JUST said this yesterday on Twitter. I was super sad to remove a blog from my reader because it just didn’t do it for me anymore. it is full of ads and sponsored posts and filler posts that are simply there to ad to the # of posts per week. I just couldn’t take it anymore.

I just removed a post for the same exact reasons. I realized I never read it anymore, never commented, just skimmed over it and my eyes would glaze over.

8. Hayley says:

This is a great idea! I usually avoid opening my reader like it’s the plague because of how many posts there are. I often open my reader just to hit “mark all as read” and then I run from it. I’m going to try this and see if it makes my reader a much friendlier place.

9. I have such anxiety when I open my reader sometimes. All of those unread blogs ahhhhh! I recently have started clearing it out & have followed all of those I don’t subscribe to on FB. Sometimes I like some of the stuff they post, but not all so now I just pick & choose based on the links on FB & the comments they generate on FB.

10. Brigid Keely says:

haha! I prune blogs regularly. Boring? Gone! Make me angry? Gone! Not worth my time? Gone! I read a LOT of blogs and have pretty limited time so one or two voices being absent from the mix? I can deal with that. Like Suzanne, though, I do hit the “next” button a lot until I reach my breaking point. THEN IT’S GONE.

I don’t tend to unsub when just one post makes me angry, unless it makes me really, really mad. It is the skimmers that I have a hard time keeping track of. Out of curiosity, what is your “a lot?” I read about 150 and I never know where that falls on the spectrum. Some people have been horrified that I read so many and some are like, meh talk to me when you break 300.

Brigid Keely Reply:

It’s usually not just one post (although I have over very racist things) but an accumulation of them.

I read a lot of parenting blogs, feminism blogs, politics blogs, fat blogs, racism blogs, food blogs, chicago-themed blogs, and webcomics/art/writing blogs. A lot of them don’t post every day, but some others post 10+ times a day. On average I have about 200 new posts every morning, with closer to 300 on M/W/F. I also have livejournal and dreamwidth accounts but am at the point where I only check up on people I actually know/am invested in at this point. I’m still adjusting to OMG WORKING OUTSIDE THE HOME!!!! (why hello there, “part time” work that somehow equals over 30 hours a week! SO LOVELY TO MEET YOU!) so right now I have… uh… a very full reader and have been skimming a lot.

I do NOT do facebook and haven’t checked in to google+ recently either.