Happy Pi Day!

In honor of the esteemed and mathly holiday of Pi Day, I thought I would talk a little bit about Spencer is obsessed.

I’m not sure what is normal for his age (2.5) and what isn’t so don’t take this so much as a mom blog humble-brag, but more of a holy crap he never shuts up about 83 and I want to remember what he was like at this age.

Spencer’s Mathy Math Skills

• Can count (with prompting and errors) to 100.
  • He thinks saying “twenty eight, twenty nine, twenty ten” is hilarious, but knows about 30.
  • Can count objects (1 to 1 correspondence) up to about 25. I thought he could do this to closer to about 10, but he busted out some mad walnut counting talents at my mother-in-law’s last week.
  • Can count to 100 by 10s.
  • Can count backwards from 10 to 0
  • Refuses to believe that things can be counted by 2s or 3s. I tried he was unimpressed and told me I was doing it wrong. Also, counting by 3s is harder than I remember.
  • Can identify major shapes: triangle, circle, square, rectangle, oval. If I make a sloppy shape, he calls it a parallelogram
  • Can add a few numbers, but this is more of a memorization trick than a skill.. He knows that 1 + 1 = 2, but I think he just knows the phrase, not the concept.

I give all of the credit for this number business to my husband and Team Umizoomi.

Tags: , ,

8 Responses to “Happy Pi Day!”

1. Byn says:

My kids were all SO different… and there are 5 of them being raised in the same house! It would drive me batty at times simply because what worked with one didn’t with another, what I thoguht was “normal” was shot out of the water when the next one came along. My girls all taught themselves to read by 3.5, the boys didn’t learn until almost 7-8, and yet the boys went on to read far above their age level soon thereafter and caught up. One of my girls struggled with math throughout (she’s 20 now), but to the boys it was just easy… my two youngest girls seem to have learned the most, I think in part it was because we homeschooled and they were always around everyone else’s learning.

2. Amanda says:

Get him to count to 100 by 5’s and kindergarten can be skipped! I was shocked what the kiddo needed to learn for kindergarten (as in totally unimpressed). They have been working on counting to 100 since the first day of school. Ugh. Mad is definitely bored during math time in class!

3. Mallory says:

That’s awesome that he can count to 100! My daughter turned 2 last week and she can only get to 15.

4. Leah says:

Math wizard! Calder may have my math skills as he gives up counting anything past 12. And now we are trying to teach him 1-10 in Japanese for his karate. It’s not going well.

I tried counting by threes just now and floundered at 15. That IS hard.

5. Brigid Keely says:

Ahh, that’s so great!

With a little bit of guidance, Niko correctly sounded out and spelled the word “jet” today. Although we read a lot, sound out letter sounds, spell things out, etc together… I’m pretty sure he was able to do this particular bit of spelling thanks to “Word World.”

Counting by 2s, 3, 5s, 10s, etc is a big help in multiplication comprehension. It’s a skill that’s really easy to dismiss as unimportant, but it lays a really vital foundation for later math skills.

6. Rebecca says:

Whoa! Mad skillz, Spence!! High 5!!

I was at a preschool open house last night and one of the teacher’s said something I thought was interesting…

Counting is great, knowing your ABCs is great but more important is being able to identify a letter or a number. She said she has lots of kids who start kindergarten able to count to 100 or higher but ask them to point out the number 8 and they are lost. Likewise with the ABC Song and letters.

I thought it was interesting because I see so many parents practically beating counting into their kids yet place no value on number recognition.

Of course now it seems like I’m saying ‘Woo freaking woo. Spencer can count and shit. Big effing deal.” I’m not. This post just reminded me of that comment last night. :D

Rebecca Reply:

That should say KINDERGARTEN open house.

Wishful thinking on my part. So not ready for real school.

7. Camille says:

He is a smart lil boy! I say go ahead and brag:)