Easter Fashion Flashback!

I’m a little bummed that I can’t find pictures of more horrific outfits. My mom dressed us so, so awfully for Easter that it became a long standing joke and “tulip vest” became family shorthand for embarrassing handmade clothes. Those vests are forever burned in my memory. I drew this picture for my sister last week in DrawSomething and she accurately guessed Easter when I was only halfway through.

Long, long ago, we looked like this in non-stick-figure form:

I think this was about 1982. I’m surprised they got me to stand so close to those flowers, I hated them so, so much. Why, might you ask? The bees. Oh good god the bees. Every Saturday my sister and I had to do yard work as part of our chores and I always got stuck cutting the dead daisies. I hated it. I still hate the smell of those.

I love Easter growing up. So many fun memories of searching for our Easter baskets when we woke up and then later the egg hunt. The egg hunt was a very big deal. Without fail every year a few eggs would go unfound because my parents were hard core egg hiders. Eggs were hidden by color in various plants and few times they even unscrewed light bulbs in the outdoor lights and replaced them with eggs. Hardcore.

Do you have a childhood easter outfits that you would like to share? Suzanne and I would love to see them – adorable, embarrassing, festive – we take all kinds. Feel free to link up below.

Tags: , ,

10 Responses to “Easter Fashion Flashback!”

1. Leah says:

I am going to be all over this. A while back my mom sent me some scans of a bunch of Easter-themed scrapbook pages she had done.

I am a little too excited about easter-themed scrapbook pages. Can’t wait to see!

I sort of suspect my mom/grandma used the same tulip vest pattern at some point. Mine had a tulip AND a snail.

Ours were dotted swiss in pink (me) and blue (my sister) and had matching tiered dotted swiss skirts to match. I believe we had to wear (itchy) high necked blouses underneath.

3. Audrey says:

lol! We don’t have many pictures from holidays outside of Halloween or Christmas in my family. But if I did, you’d see me in pastel dresses with those oversized bib things hanging across my shoulders and down my chest with little white decorative edging. The color changed, the style didn’t. Bleh.

My sister and I had different handmade outfits every year. She wore blue and I wore pink or yellow. Every single year. After the year I posted, apparently where our outfits are white and probably store bought.

I don’t think I have any Easter pics, but I have a DOOZY of a Christmas picture. You all should remind me someday, I might even show you. :-)

5. Char says:

What great family pictures. Happy Wordless Wednesday
    Cheers,
    Char

6. Kim says:

I love your drawing :) My mom didn’t sew (she stapled my girl scout badges on), but I always wished she did.

7. An intriguing discussion is definitely worth comment.
    I think that you need to write moe on this subject, it might
    not be a taboo matter but ussually people do not discuss such subjects.
    To the next! Kiind regards!!

Have a look at my web blog: pella windows replacement costs bay area