Friday Happy Hour: Cocktail Quirks

Cocktail quirks – everybody has them. I’m always fascinated by the picky drinkers because most people are and yet they don’t nearly the bad press of the picky eater. Maybe that’s because the drinking of adult beverages is optional while food is sort of necessary for survival.

I prefer gin, vodka, bourbon and whiskey. Pretty much in that order. I like tequila only in margaritas and then on the rocks, with salt please. Rum? Only in a group or under duress. I don’t even have any in my home. I really dislike spiced or coconut rum, I would sooner drink suntan lotion.

Then for contextual drinking – if I drink at lunch in a restaurant it is almost always beer, easily 99% of the time. Dinner out is mostly beer with some wine, but wine is mostly when other people order it or to split a bottle. I’ll drink a cocktail before dinner, but I don’t like sweet or foofy ones with food.

I had a nearly 10 year ban on pink drinks after an unfortunate incident at a bar in Chico that only served “teas,” long island and the like. It took the ubiquitous Cosmo to bring me back over to the pink side.

What about you? Loves and loathes? I bet at least one of you out there swore off tequila after an unfortunate incident…

15 Responses to “Friday Happy Hour: Cocktail Quirks”

1. No Bicardi LĂ­mon for me – had a roommate get SO sick every weekend on it – couldn’t ever touch the stuff!

Other than that, the more the merrier!!

That’s funny that a roommate getting sick turned you off forever, it wasn’t even you.

Vanilla Vodka and I are not friends. I’ve been extremely wary of tequila since my bachelorette party (uuuuuuggggghhhh) but recently started drinking margaritas again (no salt). I love win, love gin, love suntan lotion flavored rum. Mostly I like fancy things, like sangria, that someone else makes FOR me.

I don’t think I’ve ever even had vanilla vodka. I will admit to being intrigued by marshmallow vodka. It seems like it needs to be mixed with some orange soda.

3. Trish says:

Bacardi 151 was my poison but now it’s just a bit too much. I usually order a gin or vodka & tonic when dining out. My occasional at home drink is Sprite Zero & Seagrams Extra Smooth Vodka this way kidlets just think its water…Lol I have never had bourbon nor whiskey. Beer when dining at a pizza joint.

Bacardi 151 got me in loads of trouble once. Shots were involved and I was told it was 151 after the fact, lol.

4. Sarah says:

Vodka, gin, bourbon, wine or beer. Though I’ve switched almost exclusively to wine since I’m trying to ditch wheat.

5. Tannis says:

I cannot drink, nor even smell, Ouzo, Sambuca, or Captain Morgan’s without wanting to immediately throw up. Shockingly they aren’t made for shooting. Que the collective, “Ewwwwww,” followed by, “Duhhhhhh.”

If I’m drinking cocktails, I’m a vodka tonic kinda woman, followed by vodka martinis with a twist. I had a wonderful concoction of grapefruit vodka with seltzer and a little lime the other night. That was delicious. I usually only drink liquor when I’m out though, so I’m a beer and wine drinker at home. Not too hoppy beer, and white wine. Sadly, red wine gives me wicked headaches as I’ve gotten older.

I’m a fan of tequila, but could do without bourbon and whiskey, except in a whiskey sour. Those are just yummy. Oh! And I’ve just discovered Pimm’s Cups and they are delicious.

I have always wanted to try a Pimm’s cup and I have never had one. Let’s find one in NYC!

6. OT and ET says:

As much as they’re disgusting, I have a really warm place in my heart for both Jager and 99 Bananas. So many good times had! And the one night every year and a half that Rob and I are actually out, drinking with friends, like with the grandparents babysitting so we can really par-tay then you know I’m trying to talk everyone around me into rounds of those bad boys <3

The other 99.9% of the time I'm a beer girl. I really love light citrussy beers, IPAs, and my all-time fave is Pyramid Apricot Ale in fact Imma go have one right now! xo

Oh, IPAs are my absolute favorite. The best one I have ever had was from O’Dells in Ft Collins, CO. I also like the Firestone one, for one that is more local to me. I think my favorite Oregon beers are from Deschutes.

7. Emily Y. says:

I’m not much on cocktails… a mai tai or something every once in awhile, like if I’m on the beach. Hubby and I brew our own beer, so we drink a lot of beer, and we are kind of like microbrewery snobs, I guess. I’m trying to learn more about wine so I can actually understand the difference on the menus. This damn diet I’m on only lets me have red wine once a week… clearly the author does not have a toddler.

I think most diet authors must not have toddlers, lol. That’s so cool you brew your own beer. I’ve just helped out a friend once our twice. I love the way homebrewing smells.

8. Little Big says:

I’m the lame-o that doesn’t care for the taste of alcohol and loves those sweet, fruity drinks that taste mostly of sugar. And I don’t really like beer. I’m much more into wine. Wine is delicious.

That doesn’t make you a lame-o. MORE GIN FOR ME.