Can We Talk?

I feel like my blog is adrift. I’m not always sure what I want to say and I never know what people want to read. I’ve been thinking about starting a tips series, a cooking series. I had a recipe all ready to post today (PBR Ribs, baby!), but I already posted a recipe this week and I feel like two might be  too many. Do people even care about things like that?

I loved doing book reviews, both blogher book club and unsponsored, but I feel awkward just throwing up a list of books and being all this is what I read, yo. Although… I seriously just read the most amazing book ever. It fizzled out a little towards the end, so maybe not the best book ever, but, you know, still worth a read.

I finally got my camera out to try and figure it out again. Spencer is back into being a willing model so that makes it a bit easier. For a while, he would constantly grab at the lens/strap/flash/whatever and it drove me insane. I also joined Clickin Moms and signed up to study along with a course in September. We’ll see if I’m inspired or run screaming for the hills.  I also accidentally signed up for a 201 course instead of a 101 course so I might be in  way over my head.

Have I mentioned how excited we are about Spencer going back to school? I’m excited; he’s excited. It’s all good. He starts back up the last week in August and I think we might put him in the extended lunch program at least one day a week because he loved it over the summer. Plus a bonus 1.5 hours of toddler free time for me.

Does anyone else feel like the blogosphere is a bit tightly wound after blogher this year? People are disillusioned, disappointed, tired and in general a bit on edge. There are post going around about everything from amplified marketing to selling out to haters on parade. I wonder if everyone just has the end of summer blues.

Lastly, I loved this post from Wardrobe Oxygen about the brouhaha over at IFB and how we should be celebrating bloggers of all shapes and sizes, colors and styles. And that is very true for both bloggers and blogs that are large or small.

Also, I have no idea where I read this joke this morning, but it has been making me laugh ALL DAY:
How did the hipster burn his mouth? He ate pizza before it was cool.

I guess I had a lot of random rolling around in my head tonight. Let me know what you think.

27 Responses to “Can We Talk?”

1. Rebecca says:

This has got to be the 3rd or 4th post I’ve read saying this very thing. And I feel it on and off, too.

I think the reason I feel it sometimes is that I just kinda float along, writing whatever, whenever. I don’t have a ‘niche’ and there isn’t anything really special about our family. I mean, of course there is but not exactly in a blogworthy sense.

This is your space, write what you want! If that’s 2 recipes in one week (GASP!!) then it’s 2 recipes in one week. I’m sure worse things have been blogged about.

I looked into Clickin’ Moms but I don’t like paying to access a website. Paying for courses? Absolutely. I’d love to. But paying to look at the courses I can pay to take? No, thank you. :( (I know there’s more to the site than that but I’m still cheap.)

And what up with Blogher, yo? Holy bitter biddies!! And maybe a couple psycho Sallys. Yikes!

Also I have a question about this Blogher book club. I signed up and have been chosen for the next book. Do they always give so little time to read and post? I don’t even have the book yet but the post is due Sept 5 – which happens to be the week school starts for us. Even without the added bonus of BTS, 2 weeks doesn’t seem like a whole lotta time. Haven’t even put my hands on the book and I’m having anxiety about it.

And I’ve blogged in your comments.

I feel exactly like that. My family is decidedly, but delightfully, average. But then I see what other people deem blogworthy and I realized that I just don’t document everything. Meh. I would rather talk about things that aren’t my family for the most part then I don’t need to dwell on my slow decent in to agoraphobia. Most of the time there is a free 7 day trial code floating around for clickin moms, that’s what I did the first time. There was no way I was going to pay sight unseen for a website.

2. Rebecca says:

Yes. Yes. Yes!

I think things have been weird in the blogosphere since BlogHer. I’m trying to just do what I do because I love it and not get caught up in the garbage.

I LOVE recipe posts so I think 2 or even 3 in a week is fine. Especially if you post most days of the week.

Please tell us about the books you love! Just yesterday I made a library list by going to one of my fave blogs and taking her recommendations.

That’s all :)

By the way, I enjoyed meeting you again this year. You were one of the most sincere people I met, which was really refreshing :)

I’m so glad we had a chance to meet again. BlogHer is just such a whirlwind. If I go again next year, which is looking unlikely, I am going to just step back and do way less stuff.

3. I say write about what you love! I enjoy reading it because it’s stuff you care about. And if you find yourself writing a post just because you feel obligated to, but you aren’t enjoying it … then scrap it!

Also: I like your recipe posts. Can’t wait to see the PBR Ribs!

I do write what I love, but I don’t love writing in to a vacuum and the posts that I love seem to get the fewest views and comments. I wouldn’t be writing on the internet if I didn’t want people to read it so I’m just trying to find out what would make the most connections or have value. I would have added that to the post – why doesn’t anyone comment anymore ::sobs:: – but that always just results in a bunch of people commenting “I’ve been so busy, but I’m still reading!” and then not commenting again for months.

I’m so glad I read the comments before I posted because I was basically just going to repeat what you said above this one:

WHY does this ALWAYS happen? I feel like it’s especially bad in this post-blogher era of unrest. Even though I know a lot of my readers aren’t bloggers they must all be busy or suffering from end-of-summer malaise since I feel like I’m shouting into an empty well.

But I also think it’s important to continue to blog what YOU want, because I come here to read that. Whatever “that” is. Recipes, how-tos, pictures, random thoughts from your head. It might not make you internet famous but it will keep those of us who like you already coming back.

Misty @ The Family Math Reply:

I really think I know how you feel, Amy. I’ve done a lot of examining of why I’m even blogging, and what I determined is that I’m not all that interested in making money at it (even though those occasional sponsored posts are nice for a little extra spending money) — I’m interested in being heard. Unfortunately, I can’t make people read what I write, even if it’s amazing. I’m done with trying to kiss ass and do EVERY LINKUP EVAR!!1!! and comment 17 times a day on posts I care nothing about. And honestly, it’s resulted in me not writing a lot right now, because I just don’t know what I want. I don’t know that writing just for myself is worth it to me, and if it is, whether I want to continue putting it on the Internet or just start keeping a journal.

This has all been post-Blissdom realization for me. Where will I end up? I don’t know. Hope you are able to figure out something you are happy with.

Right. Exactly. It isn’t about the money or being internet famous at all for me (although I wouldn’t say no to money) but it is about being heard. And right now I am throwing a pity party for myself because I feel like no one cares what I have to say. It really is a vicious circle.

Misty @ The Family Math Reply:

For what it’s worth (and like I said, I’m not into ass-kissing), I cut my reader down a couple of months ago to blogs I sincerely enjoy. It went from probably around 80-100 to maybe 40. Yours made the cut because I actually like reading what you write about. Your writing is thoughtful and sincere, whether it’s a post about Spencer or a recipe or a book review.

I think it will always make me sad that my highest viewed post is that stupid, but cute I guess, halloween yarn wreath.

Tracy @nystoopmama Reply:

My post that gets comments and hits daily was a stupid Halloween costume round-up where, at the end, I show the bird costume I made for LJ. People hound me and send emails on a daily basis about that GD costume. Not the posts that I think are particularly moving or funny, but the felt f*cking bird.

Maybe that’s a sign that DIY posts are the move? Unfortunately I prefer just running my mouth, so…

(**although I am super grateful for any and all comments. Even on the craft ones.***)

Right. I am grateful for comments and hits and everything on every post. But, deep down inside I would prefer it be for my words rather than my mediocre wreath skills.

5. Audrey says:

Ha! I know this feeling. I get it at least twice every year. Also, post as many recipes as you have, I say! You have good recipes.

I’ve just about given up on the BlogHer BookClub. I’ve gotten into sign-ups three times this year and no book. I don’t get it! It’s like after the one they decided I wasn’t worth it? I dunno. And I stopped reviewing the books I’m reading because I felt like I was talking to myself and I’m reading them pretty fast at this point.

I have missed the majority of the post-BlogHer posts, but this is the second or third one I’ve read that mentioned negative nancy posts. All I want to know is, WHERE CAN I READ THIS TRASHY POST-BLOGHER AFTERMATH BRUHAHA! Better than reality tv.. ;)

6. Brigid Keely says:

I’ma echo everyone else and say write about what you want to write about. Unless you are TRYING to monetize your blog, don’t worry about finding or filling a niche. Write about what you are interested, do what you want to do. THIS IS YOUR SPACE. IT IS YOURS. Fill it with you.

It isn’t so much about monetizing or blogging as feeling like I am writing in to a vacuum sometimes and if I wanted to do that, I could just keep a journal.

7. marci says:

you are one of my favorite bloggers. I may not be very active on my blog lately and might not post as many comments or reply to you on twitter but i do continue to read and enjoy your posts. i really enjoy everything you post so keep on doing what you’re doing.

Thanks so much! That is so nice to hear. And I think we do chat plenty on twitter so that’s great!

8. Maribel Reyes says:

I think it happens to all of us, specially when on vacation and life takes over {ahem} more like kids takeover haha… We are so busy with priorities that we all stop writing or feel like stopping and enjoying the moment. I hope you figure out what you are going to do, I have been reading your blog. But the decision is up to you, what you want to do. What does Amy want? if you want to write then we are here to read… :D not going anywhere :D

9. Faith says:

I too could have written this exact post. It’s one of the reasons I went to BlogHer but attending didn’t even help. I still feel lost. I’m going to keep posting about whatever.

I love recipes so I say do it! Even if it means two a week. Sometimes a new recipe is all I’ve got going on!

Have you tried out goodreads.com? I used to post about what I was reading but it was sometimes just too much. Good reads gives me another option and it posts updates for me.

I used good reads a really long time ago, but never really got in to any of the updates aspects of it. I should look again.

10. Sarah says:

I will never understand why something I spend time/energy/emotion/effort on is never as widely accepted as something I spent two seconds on. The internets. They be fickle. <3

11. Tannis says:

Talk about books! And food! Really, I love seeing what other people are reading, or have on deck, or have thought about reading because I’m always looking for stuff to read, and maybe I’ve read, or am also thinking about reading something that someone else is and then we can talk about it together! Keep in mind the last book I read was a Patricia Cornwell book from 1994 that I found at the beach house we stayed in last week.

12. This has been my reality since BlogHer. It is so validating to know that someone else is experiencing the same situation. I’ve been thinking a lot about direction, writing, being….. and being me is all I can be. Be you, people will read because it is you they want to read. (And now you have a new reader… me!)

13. Emily Y. says:

It’s refreshing to know that more experienced bloggers than I had this sort of reaction, too! I came home feeling like I needed a mission statement and a marketing campaign… and then I snapped out of that. Yes, I need more readers so that I don’t feel that “vacuum” feeling you discussed… but the other stuff is phooey! Readers enjoy a hodgepodge of stuff… it’s what makes them feel connected to you, like they know you. I like all of the different stuff on your blog. If you like writing about it, I don’t think you should stop.

14. Arnebya says:

I’d actually like more recipes (I don’t care that you posted one recently; I’m just grateful for ideas) and I don’t mind a variety of topics. I like tips and reviews. I would venture to say that while I might have come initially because of you parenting a kid near my youngest’s age, I’m staying for the other stuff (and because I like your writing). Blog readers are notoriously finicky, I’d dare say. If you enjoy doing it/writing about it, do it. It’s your blog and if someone doesn’t want a tip that day, they’ll still come back the following day to see what else there is.

I returned from BlogHer high on life, inspired, ready to tackle all the blogging world has to offer. And then…meh. I have no idea what direction to go in to gain all of the stuff I feel like I should have going on. I met so many wonderful people who seemed genuinely interested in what I have to say, my writing talent, and ME, but where to go from here? Beats the hell outta me. I”ll be over here in the corner waiting for someone to lead me around.

15. Kim says:

What I think is that I love that pic of Spencer. And I love your recipe posts- even though I don’t cook. I hate that my stupidest post with the crappy pictures is my most popular, and the post that mean the most to me has 0 comments, but that’s the way the crappy internet cookie crumbles, I guess.