I am Ridiculous

There are three things that have been driving me insane lately. This is the type of thing that my mom would have mocked me mercilessly for. I am the pedantic one in the family.

This has been in my office or on my fridge since 2005.

1. Spencer’s nut free school. They call it a nut free school, which theoretically is fine, but they MEAN peanut free. Plus, peanuts are legumes. There aren’t any kids with tree nut allergies this year, so almond butter is ok as are cashews.  I think botanically most nuts are seeds and some are fruits, bu if I start getting too picky, people will really think I am insane.

2. People who claim to eat no fruit (because it is bad for you an full of sugar) and only vegetables. This in and of itself is fine, but nearly without fail those people eat tomatoes, zucchini, cucumbers, peppers and pumpkins just to name a few. Those are all fruits.

3. People who talk about sugar free/no sugar recipes that are fruit based. They mean “no added sugar” which is quite the different thing. I mentioned that I am ridiculous, right? I’m just sick of magic “no sugar” smoothies for kids that have two bananas and a boatload of strawberries.

Two other things that baffle me:1) Stella Artois, (my second least favorite beer of all time. Seriously. I would rather have Natty Light) became inexplicably popular and 2) people who drink Blue Moon and insinuate it is a craft brew. Yes, a tiny little Belgian white – made by Coors.

17 Responses to “I am Ridiculous”

1. Emily Y. says:

I just laughed out loud! Love it!

2. Rebecca says:

I just started this new sugar-free diet where I eat NOTHING but fruit.

Every second day I can have tree nuts and every seventh day I can have legumes.

And I have to shotgun a Stella before I get out of bed each day.

I think this is going to be the best diet EVER.

Does your diet have a newsletter? I would like to subscribe.

3. Tannis says:

That Blue Moon thing makes me CRAZY! I hate seeing it show up in Craft Brew spaces. IT’S NOT A CRAFT BREW. Ahem, SHOCK TOP (Anheuser Busch).

At least Blue Moon started small and was bought, right? Was it the same for shock top?

Leah Reply:

I feel the same way about Goose Island. It was a craft brew, and is now owned by A-B. Guuuuuh. It’s not so hard to fine real craft beer, people.

4. Arnebya says:

You are absolutely NOT ridiculous. It works my absolute last nerve when people refer to tomatoes as vegetables. And the woman at my job who constantly says her kid only eats sugar-free snacks but she shows a picture of her with a huge bag of grapes. Um, lady?

I’ve seen tomatoes referred to as a “culinary vegetable” which doesn’t bother me as much. I wish that would start getting used for the squashes too.

5. Arnebya says:

Oh, Oh, OH!!!!!!! This is totally irrelevant to people outside of the area, but it’s really irritating me right now (and it’s borderline ridiculous). It’s how Groupon or Living Social or some other coupon place (or job boards, etc) list something for DC but it’s actually in MD or VA. Um, I signed up for DC. Don’t send me deals for things in Chantilly, VA because I am not interested in driving 2 hours because the amoung of gas I spend will be more than the savings of this coupon. Deals love to say DC area. No, just say where it is, not what it’s around.

OK, thanks, I’m done.

Totally agree. My nearest metro area is Los Angeles and I get groupon notifications for the region, but those things are all over the board geographically.

6. Leah says:

I think you should get your own TV show or web series or something. Amy Tells People Things. I’d watch the crap out of that.

Suzanne Reply:

I would totally watch that YouTube channel.

7. Miranda says:

YES. To all of this! Especially the people who don’t eat “fruit.” Except if they don’t eat the fruit that means more fruit for me! YAY NATURAL SUGAR!!

8. Betsy says:

I love a good vent! And I hate Stella Artois too.