DIY Chrome Pinecones

I got the idea for chrome pinecones from a combination of the Ebpot Nutcrackers and the fact that half of the holiday stuff at Target this year is super shiny. Now that I have chrome spray paint in my hot little hands, I fully plan on chroming all the things.

Side note: don’t make jokes about christmas tagging when buying silver paint. The cashier was not amused.

DIY Silver Pine Cone

This is more of a guideline than an exact tutorial because the instructions are basically buy paint, gather pinecones, spray, dry, spray, dry, enjoy. I used pinecones that Spencer gathered (legally) and Valspar metallic spray paint in chrome/silver. I think it was about $5 and the pinecones were free, so this was not a spendy craft project at all. The results, however, look pretty expensive.

How to make Chrome Pinecone

In process!

I don’t trust myself to mix my good camera with spray painting, so I only have this one process shot. I spray painted outside on the grass (when Spencer wasn’t home or I would probably have a chromed toddler) so I just spread some newspaper out then put a paper grocery bag on top for my work area. It’s important to practice safe spray painting, so please use it in a well ventilated area and read the label warnings carefully.

I found that two light coats gave the pinecones enough coverage. I just sort of nudged them around and over with my finger between sprays. The coats were light enough that it worked fine. I used quick sprays of paint rather than long sweeping sprays, seemed to get in the nooks and crannies of the pine cones well.

These pinecones are shiny. Very, very shiny.

How to make silver pinecones

The hardest part is deciding just where to put them in my house. I currently have them nestled into a bowl with some greenery, but they might migrate to the mirrored shelf. I think they need to be up a bit higher because Spencer keeps grabbing and petting them. He called them his shinies and things got a little Gollumy.

Silver Pine cone

The chrome – it blinds!

Tags: , ,

10 Responses to “DIY Chrome Pinecones”

1. Amanda says:

I love them! I think I may be doing a lot less running and a lot more gathering pinecones on my ‘run’ this morning. Great idea!

2. Leah says:

SHINY!

Also, is there a way to gather pine cones illegally?

It’s illegal to take them from most state/national parks and I actually don’t know about our city ordinances.

3. Audrey says:

Cute! I can imagine Ev going all “my precious” on them too. Do you have to worry about them opening up more in the heat of your house or is CA so warm that doesn’t happen much?

These haven’t opened up anymore and I made them about a week ago. My house isn’t very warm though. it’s old with crappy insulation. I provides only a minimum of insulation from our frigid 60 degree temps in winter, lol.

4. Brigid Keely says:

Oh, those are LOVELY. I bet they’d look great with mercury glass finish spray paint, too. What a great idea you had!

5. Suz says:

I love them!!!

6. Veronica says:

I can’t wait until we have a home to decorate. Really cute idea.

7. […] Twig Valentine’s Day Wreath This is another frankencraft. The idea came from the chrome pinecones and the paper heart tic tac toe. I thought it would be find to chrome a twig wreath and then I […]

8. Fayette says:

Thank you for giving us your instructions …they look like the mercury glass one’s s…I have been trying to achieve with Glass Look paint, {not happening}after attempts. I will give this a try