Let’s Read Blogs!

I have had a phrase banging around in my head most of today – bloggers don’t read blogs anymore. It’s sad but true. A lot of people are so busy building their brand, promoting themselves and doing side projects and reading blogs often fall by the wayside. How often do you see a tweet about taking the nuclear option on a blog reader because it got out of hand? Too often, I say. A tiny part of me dies when I see it.

I’ve taken my fair share of writing classes (not that you can tell from my blog… jeesh) and a common maxim through almost all of them was “writers read daily.” That’s how you grow, learn, stretch, admire. I just don’t see the same thing in blogging. Now, I get that not all bloggers are writer-bloggers, but they should still feel like they are offering something, no? Either information, opinion or a story.

Not to toot my own horn, but I read a lot of blogs. Not a ton, but plenty. I have 200+ blogs in my reader, fewer than 20 daily posters, and I get that sucker down to zero almost every single night. I skim a lot. Some I have in there for eye candy or links or life updates and those don’t take very much time to read.

Do I process and retain it all? Probably not, but there are so many posts that I am happy I have read and even still think of. That’s the mark of a good post I think. Every single time my plastic wrap gets stuck, I think of Amalah. Mandy’s sour patch kids post pops in my head more days than I like to admit. I think Suzanne’s post about other people’s children will be one I think of often, too. And I don’t think I will ever look at a massage table the same way again. And Jollibee. That post was in 2006 and I still remember it.

So. Blogs. I like them. I am not trying to shame anyone in to reading blogs, just maybe remind people they are awesome and fun to read. Words are good. So, this June (birthday month! It’s very. very important) I am going to make an effort to seek out new blogs. I would love for you to do the same. I did round up posts a long time ago, but maybe I thought I would give it another go for June if people share something good.

Send me good posts. Links you love. Something that caught your eye. Old. New. Any genre. Send it to me by email, leave it in the comments. Post links to facebook! Tweet me! Whatever floats your boat. Go out and find something new and show me. The words are out there.

Let’s all read blogs again!

28 Responses to “Let’s Read Blogs!”

1. Audrey says:

This has been my failing since switching from Blogger to WP. I liked the integrated reader in Blogger. I can’t remember all the blogs I read every day, it was at least 50/day… but I read like four or five now. It’s horrible.

2. I’m like you…it’s my goal to get my blog reader down to 0 before I go to bed every night. I love to read what is going on in the lives of other people. If it’s something that resonates with me I make it a point to comment as well.

Blog reading is my sanity saver sometimes, whether I’m in a long check out line or the baby decided he needs to nurse again for the elevenbillionth time that day.

Liz Reply:

I agree, Jen … I like keeping up with both my blogger friends and people whose blogs I like to read. I admit I’ve still been using Google Reader but I did set up BlogLovin for when GR dies next month. :(

Babybabylemon – here is a post for you:

Book review of Nantucket Blue that I posted today. :)

I am so upset about the end of GR. I’ve tried bloglovin and it is ok. Trying feedly next.

Leah Reply:

I am trying Feedly and I don’t understand it.

3. Chris says:

I am new to reading blogs and am looking for more to add to my feed as well. It all started when I came across Amy Grace’s work and decided to start a blog of my own about being a father with a camera.

I too will find it hard to forget Suzanne’s post about the kids at the Zoo. Infact that is how I found this post by reading the comments. I would like to think that people arent too busy but the reality is your probably right.

-chris
    Fatherhoodwithacamera.blogspot.com

4. Rebecca says:

When I first started blogging reading – and commenting on – other blogs was THE way to grow your blog. But then I found myself with over 100 blogs in my reading list and ALL I was doing was reading and commenting, reading and commenting.

I had no time to write let alone do anything outside of my laptop. Which was shameful.

I took a blogging break and stopped reading, too. I’ve never gotten back to where I was, reading-wise. Which is ok but I do need (and want) to read more.

That’s kind of why I started Sharing is Caring. It’s not always other bloggers I share but it forces me to read. And then share the good stuff I’ve read. Or in some cases the totally WTF stuff. There are heaps and heaps of that.

Goooooooo June! It’s Amy’s birth month! We gon’ read like it’s her birth month! And you know we dun give a fuq cause it’s her birth month!!

5. Sherri says:

Funny that I stumbled on this post because I have JUST come to the realization that I miss blogs. And I have started taking a small chunk out of my day (15 mins, even) to read only BLOGS. I am only three days in, but already loving the connections again.

6. Fantastic post! It’s true … we’ve definitely lost our blog-reading way. I subscribe to more than 1,000+ blogs (I know …) but one thing I have adored Feedly for is the Today feature. It lets me read those that have posted just … well, today … and I get through them much faster than I ever did with GR. (I’m not affiliated with Feedly, just a happy customer.)

Off to read some blogs now …

7. Marta Vodrey says:

A few things on this!

I’m a looong time blog reader, and just recently entered into blogging myself, 2 months in and loving it! Just admitting it, not the writer-blogger type!

Anyhow, I LOVE reading blogs, in fact the best thing about it is stumbling upon other blogs like this one! I found you off of freshmommyblog.com. So I think it would be hard to stop reading blogs because I started up my own little corner on the net. It’s all of you who inspired me to start my own, and I’ll never forget that!

Here’s one blogger who I follow – it’s her about page, and pretty captivating story! http://thelittlemama.com/about/

Happy Reading!
    – Marta

8. I got out of the daily habit for a bit, but am happily back in it. And on the heels of ArmchairBEA (Book Expo America), I’m firmly back in the habit with a bunch of new-to-me blogs in my Feedly. I wholeheartedly agree with you — it makes us better individual bloggers, and it strengthens the community.

Great post!

9. Brigid Keely says:

Here’s some parenting blogs I read! I didn’t include any of the super popular ones, I don’t think. Some don’t update often. All write really well, though.

http://rustedtinroof.blogspot.com/ (Leah BeBop)
    http://bluemilk.wordpress.com/ (australian, feminist)
    http://www.electricboogaloo.net/wordpress/ (home schooling, amazing artist)
    http://julia.typepad.com/ (one of those infertility/ivf blogs with happy results)
    http://whentheflamesgoup.com/ (co-parenting after a divorce)
    http://iasshole.org/ (parenting PNW style, discussion of divorce proceedings & abuse)
    http://mutantsupermodel.com/ (book lover, divorcee, life organizer)
    http://jasongood.net/ (stand up comedian, wahp)

I was ambivalent about having kids for a long time, in that I both did and did not want them. I was terrified of fucking up and doing actual harm to a baby/child. Then Amalah wrote about the time she almost lost it with her baby, and how she was able to hold it together, close the door, and call her husband to come home. She was super stressed out, tired, at the end of her rope… and everyone survived. And I was all… well, I can do that too. It’s not impossible. It was a real revelation, and must have been SO HARD to write something so raw and honest… and something that other people WILL judge harshly.

10. Marta Vodrey says:

A few things on this!

Happy Reading!
    – Marta

11. Leah says:

Jollibee! I didn’t even have to go to the link to know what post that was. I bet she still gets hate mail about that.

I read blogs. Or try to. I can’t really recommend any because you probably already read them, my network is so small.

12. […] shared this post on my Facebook page on Sunday but I think it’s worth sharing again. “Let’s Read Blogs!” by BabyBabyLemon.com I also want to add to it that if you’re going read blogs make sure you interact with them, in […]

13. Jackie says:

I agree! Let’s get back to reading, commenting, and being there for one another!

I have a reader that has probably 200 or so subscriptions and I try to go through it daily. I read most (or skim like you) and I try to comment on the ones that I really like.

14. I do read blogs, old favs and new ones – and some of them I only read once, and never again (giveaways, nooooo!), mostly because they aren’t something I’m currently doing or interested in, like toilet training or breast feeding (BT,DT, got the stretch marks). Others – let’s face it, we ALL know me-me-me bloggers, we have been to their blog 3, 4, 8 times, and left comments, and they never, EVER visit back and leave a comment, on ANYTHING. So when I see in a sharing list that they have posted their latest link, it’s a mental “oh, hell no!” from me.

Much much prefer blogs that have Disqus or Intense Debate, too. I have time to read the follow-up to MY comment, not every new comment, nor every follow-up comment, and I don’t have time (or memory) to keep checking back to see if the OP has replied to me. YMMV (Your Mileage May Vary).

I also like just the reply notification on some wordpress blogs. I’ve had trouble with my disqus log-in for years. I think I am on my third…

15. Trina says:

I love reading other’s blogs. Especially finding new ones to read. It helps the time go by when I’m pumping. Some days are easy to keep up and others are hard, but I think that’s just because my time available differs with a 4.5 month old.

I found so many blogs in the middle of the night back when I was breastfeeding. I had time to click through and read interesting links and investigate blog rolls. It was nice to get something in return for the lack of sleep!

16. Carolyn West says:

I tend to read blogs from the people I know personally. I love keeping up with what they are doing both professionally and personally. I will definitely read blog posts that are recommended, but I have to admit I don’t read them as much as I used to. You are right that we get so busy promoting ourselves. Still… there is no greater way to promote yourself than to read (and comment on) other blogs. You also might pick up a few writing tips as well.

17. Melanie says:

I must admit that my blog reading has plummeted since writing my own. But I do have some I follow and always check in on. Here’s one post that I particularly love:

I love the blog Everyday Trish. Trish is one of the funniest bloggers I’ve ever read. But my favorite post of hers is on the serious side – all about body image. I think it’s wonderful.

18. Trish says:

Amen. Amen. Amen. I try really hard to keep up with other bloggers and to leave meaningful comments. I don’t always do a great job, especially after having a baby, but I try. I just feel like if I want other people to come visit me at my blog, I need to go visit them at theirs. It only seems right.

19. David says:

Nicely written…wish I could write! I do try to read as many as I can and being honest, don’t really write that much on my own as my writing sucks!! :)

20. Rachel G says:

Bloggers should be the ideal ones to read and support each other’s blogs. I try to make time to read blogs every day, and I think I do a fairly good job of it. After all, it’s the whole–treat people the way you want to be treated idea. I do want people to read my blogs thoughtfully and well, and I’ll give others the same honor.

21. Ot & Et says:

I try to keep up with my blog reading, at least the “core” blogs on my list, at least once a week. Sometimes at the expense of writing a post… and I’m always glad I did. I’m at a point now where I feel like an aunt to most of the kiddos I’ve been watching grow for years and I regularly say “my friend in ___” about the moms I read. I don’t even clarify to people anymore that it’s a blog mom. They don’t get it, but you guys are truly my best friends in so many ways. We “talk” to each other daily, have inside jokes, know the ins and outs of each others’ lives, share photos, finds, recipes. Bloggers who don’t read blogs? I don’t get that, at all.

22. […] the Love of Lists Since posting the Let’s Read Blogs! post, I’ve had a few people ask me how exactly I find new things to read. I don’t have […]

23. skinclan says:

Excellent blog posting. really very interesting blog.