I am doing some diet experimentation. And trying to cut out sugar and up my protien. My biggest hurdle is breakfast. Today for a treat I made myself some breakfast sausage. I have found that whole3o and paleo recipes are great resources even if you don’t follow the plan. My original inspiration is from Primal Palate but I couldn’t find ground pork and I failed to follow the recipe, so I am presenting mine here.
It’s pretty good (for turkey sausage). The smoked paprika helps is feel a little more savory and gives it a little extra heft, makes it a little porkier.
Turkey Breakfast Sausage
Makes 10 patties so serves 3-5 ish
1 pound ground turkey (not turkey breast only or extra lean)
1 teaspoon fennel seeds
1 teaspoon smoked paprika
1/2 teaspoon garlic powder
1/2 teaspoon black pepper
1/2 teaspoon italian seasoning (or any combination of dried oregano, basil and parsley)
1/2 teaspoon smoked salt (or salt if you don’t have smoked)
2 tablespoons coconut oil (or other oil for pan frying)
- Combine ground turkey with herbs and spices, I use the spoon then hand method like with meatloaf)
- Separate in to 10 equal amounts (8 for larger patties) and form in to patties.
- I’m not the best at patty making, I expect it comes with practice. I did make a ball, flatten a little then squish between clean hands. Your mileage may vary.
- Heat cooking oil in large saute pan over med-high to medium heat.
- Cook the patties in two batches about 6 -7 minutes depending on thickness, flipping once. I covered the pan for the second half of cooking.
- Check for doneness, turkey should be cooked through to at least 165 degrees F.
- Remove from pan and enjoy. Refrigerate or freeze leftovers.