I have never been one for New Year’s Resolutions, mostly because I can never keep them, but Spencer’s birthday tomorrow has me thinking about what I could do better in his second year of life. I am going to try and make some changes and I hope I can stick to them.
1. Be more present at meal times – I am mostly guilty of this at breakfast, where I set him up in his high chair with some cheerios and a banana and then set myself up with a cup of coffee and my laptop and catch up on my reader. And really, I should be paying more attention, talking to him about what we are going to do that day and looking out the window at the birds. I quit this one cold turkey, and honestly, this morning, I felt the pull of my laptop and unconsciously drifted over to go get it a few times.
2. Make a dinner most of the time and make a better variety of food – I am a decent cook, but since becoming a mom, I have been a lazy and unimaginative one. Dinners go like this for the week: spahetti, hot dogs, pizza (out), macaroni and cheese, carbonara, burgers (out). Lame. I can do better than that.
3. Eat more fruits and vegetables – The bare minimum for this one is pathetic – fruit or vegetable at every meal for the adults. I get Spencer his fruits and veggies, but don’t always bother taking care of the adults. And soon, I am not going to make as much separate food, so I need to get on top of this one.
4. Eliminate the soda habit – I don’t need to cut it out completely, just get it out of the house and not drink it daily. I was doing really well for a while and drinking iced tea for my post-coffee caffeinated beverage fix, but I backslid on vacation.
5. Go on more walks – At go on one every day the hubs is working. Then consider every day. And I should try and make one per week somewhere new. My neighborhood is boring.
6. Lose 20 pounds (at least) by Spencer’s next birthday – I’m hoping 2-5 make this one easier. If not, I am going to have to take drastic measures.
7. Keep our floors cleaner – The knees on Spencer’s pants got dirty crawling around inside the house yesterday. Ew.
8. Organize the house and make a play room -The house is ridiculous. There is a pile of crap in the corner of my bedroom that has been there since we moved back in after getting the floors done upstairs over a year ago. Clearly I don’t need the stuff and some major purging needs to happen. We have two downstairs bedrooms that we use as an office/guest room and one that has the elliptical machine/storage. We need to make a play room happen and get some of the toys out of the living room. They are getting out of control.
9. Find Spencer some play buddies -I noticed when I made his birthday party invite list that Spencer doesn’t have any friends. He has acquaintances from music class, but I have no contact info. The only kids coming to the party are our friend’s kids. I need to find a play group or something.
10. Make Spencer a sibling – We better get on this before I get too old.